< Things I Can't Say: A Lesson from Five Year Olds

This Page

has been moved to new address

A Lesson from Five Year Olds

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Lesson from Five Year Olds

On Monday morning, I took my boys to the church where my middle son went to preschool last year. The one that my youngest will attend this fall.

It was time for Vacation Bible School. VBS. Where I can drop off my kiddos and have three glorious hours of quiet each day without feeling guilty about it, since they are off learning and having fun and all that good stuff. My boys need Jesus, you know. 


I knew my oldest would be fine.  I wasn't sure about my 3 year-old because I hadn't even known until that morning that they had a class for his age. But, he was fine.

It was my 5 year-old Bear that I was the most concerned about. He's a total sweetheart, but things aren't always easy for him. And I always worry about just how much I need to explain to an adult who is going to be in charge of him.

But, when we got to his group, I saw that his girlfriend was there.  The one he started a flashmob with on a preschool field trip.

He went and sat down with her, big hugs all around, and I knew he would be fine.
One of the few ways I feel comfortable sharing a pic of someone else's child on my blog. 

They are best buddies and she helps him so much. Some of that help is because she can be a little bossy and he adores her so much he'll do whatever she says, but I'll take it.  I left with no worries about him.

On Tuesday, I went to go sign him out from his group and the leader of that group told me that he had been moved to another group that morning.  They ended up with a lot more 5 year-olds than they had planned on, so they split the kids up and created a second group.

My panicked eyes flew to the new sign out list, quickly scanning down the sheet. Phew. Bear's girlfriend had been moved to the other group with him.

I gave a relieved laugh and said, "Oh, I'm so glad you moved Bear and Bear's Girlfriend together."

An eyeroll was the response that I received.  When Bear was told to go to the other group, he and his girlfriend grabbed hands and headed to the new group together. They were told no, Bear was moving, but Girlfriend was not. They stopped, kept holding hands, and refused. So, the wise teachers decided not to fight it and let the two be together.

I could be embarrassed that my child wasn't listening and doing as he was told. But, I'm not.

Instead, I'm taking a lesson from him.  He has someone whom he sticks with. Someone who holds his hand and helps him. Someone he has a blast with.

And he wasn't about to let anyone separate them.

Yes, they both play with others. And they don't have to be together all the time.

But, when it comes down to it, they have that person that they want with them. And they aren't letting go.

I think we should all have a friend like that.  We might not always be together, but when it's important, we stick together.

Do you have a friend like that? 

Labels: ,

60 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is the sweetest story! I'm so glad he has a friend like that too!

June 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

BFFs unite! What a wonderful story!

June 30, 2011 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh Bear! You know how I love Bear and I'm so glad Bear's Girlfriend is the way she is. Atta girl. You're so right, everyone needs someone like that. Glad she's got his back, and she has hers.

And let's talk about how jealous I am about the fact that you have a 3 year old while mine is still 2 1/2. Can't wait to unload Cooper for a bit, since we've been together NONSTOP since he was born. :)

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

June 30, 2011 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

I did when I was little. :)

June 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger tessica said...

adorable and i think you to just the right attitude to it!

June 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Oh that is too sweet! Bear knows what is important :) Looks like he'll be a great best friend when he gets older!

June 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

That's so sweet! I always love seeing little ones who feel so connected to a little friend. That feeling is so innate, right from the start.

June 30, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

What a heart warming story! It's so awesome that they are that close.

I haven't had anyone that close to me in a long time. My BFF lives an hour away and although we are close, we aren't that close.

June 30, 2011 at 8:28 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Dot Com said...

aww. so adorable. I love this story. Your boy is such a sweety! :) - and that picture is adorable even if you can't see the faces!!!

June 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad they didn't make a big deal about it. He deserved to be with his friend.

June 30, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

I'm glad the teachers didn't split them up. A kid needs their BFF.

Yes, I do have someone like that.

June 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Good for them! The Girl and her BFF were split up for VCS this year, but the two classes did everything together so it ended up working out fine.

I do and I don't.... I've moved around so much as an adult that I don't have a true BF right close, but I do still have my closest friend since Kindergarten just a phone call away and in each place I've lived I've had one go-to friend among several close ones, but none I'd call a true BF!

June 30, 2011 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Jenine said...

Shows you that even 5 year olds have priorities and hold friendships in great regard. What a positive message for future generations.

I'd love it if you followed me on my new blog. www.feralmoon.com ! :) I even have a FB page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Feral-Moon/122816737800957

June 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Cindi said...

"What God has joined together" ... LoL.

Glad things worked out. Enjoy your kid free time. (Notice I said kid free? Knowing you'll fill those hours with many other things so it won't be free. LoL)

June 30, 2011 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

cracking up at them too standing defiant against 'the man'.. how sweet is that and so wonderful. Shows they are being taught the right things already..

June 30, 2011 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Good for them! But if I were you, I would have rolled my eyes right back at that teacher. VBS or not! You know your child. Your reaction is valid. I'm glad they got to stick together!

June 30, 2011 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Karen Mortensen said...

Wonderful story. good for them. I guess my husband fits into this category.

June 30, 2011 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Di said...

Oh how very sweet! I think my sister is that friend for me!

Also "Some of that help is because she can be a little bossy and he adores her so much he'll do whatever she says, but I'll take it."

- Isn't that the basis of most marriages? :)

June 30, 2011 at 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Awww. I'm so glad Bear has such a friend.

I mean, I have friends like that.

But then people start throwing around words like "stalker" and suddenly it's not as fun.

June 30, 2011 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Sober Julie said...

This is wonderful, their friendship is strong and genuine. I have some like that and I'm blessed.

June 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

So cute! Also, I think it's great that she makes him feel more comfortable and that they refused to be separated. They'll both probably have better VBS experiences that way!!

June 30, 2011 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Such a great post! I love how children are so innocent and pure! Everyone needs more friends like that!

June 30, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

My better half moved 3 provinces over and it kills me. Sure we keep in contact but it's not the same. Gah...I miss her.

June 30, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger championm2000 said...

First...I laughed at the line, "My boys need Jesus, you know."

Yes, I have a friend like that--my brother and sister. Reading about Bear and his friend reminded me of a post I wrote last week about them.
http://mamemusings.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-i-love-about-me.html

June 30, 2011 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Heather H said...

Such a sweet story! I love hearing about Bear & his girlfriend, and that they formed such a strong bond at such a young age.

June 30, 2011 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh, I love this!! And the lady with the eyeroll? I might have punched her. Good for your Bear and his girlfriend.

June 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I have had friends like that at different stages of my life. Not one friend seemed to move to the next stage at the same time :( A good friend is worth so much and I am glad that Bear and his girlfriend have each other :)

June 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger The Random Blogette said...

That is so adorable! And I totally agree with Jen that I probably would've punched "eyeroll" or politely made a comment to her about how sweet it was that they wanted to stay together. I so wish I had a friend like that!

June 30, 2011 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger MommaKiss said...

You make good kids, friend. I'm glad he's so sweet. I do have a friend like that and I'm so thankful.

June 30, 2011 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Good for Bear and Bear's Girlfriend. I'm glad they got to be together.

I have a friend like this. Her name is Rachel. When my brother died last year, she held my hand. And when the anniversary of his death came around this year, she came over and held my hand. I thank God for her every day.

June 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Brenda Susan said...

I do have a friend like that and she is saving my life right now!

June 30, 2011 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger MrsJenB said...

My heart sank when you said he was moved, and then I was so relieved that he was still with his girlfriend. Whew!!

I have a few friends like that and I know I'm so lucky!

June 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger January Dawn said...

Having a friend like that is SO incredibly important. My BFF's b-day was on Monday...I dedicated a post to her. 16 years of friendship - doesn't happen often. I feel extremely lucky to have her in my life.
http://dawningofjanuary.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-birthday-soul-sister.html

June 30, 2011 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger BNM said...

Aww that is so sweet! Go bear for standing his ground :D

June 30, 2011 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

What a sweet story! I love when the little ones form a best friend and they don't want to let go. You're right, we could all use a lesson from this!

June 30, 2011 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

So sweet! Go Bear!!

June 30, 2011 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Elena Wollborg said...

That is so sweet! I love that they stuck together, even when they were supposed to separate.

June 30, 2011 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

Not so much. I'm working on that! Sweet story, Shell! I'm glad the VBS workers were willing to be flexible.

June 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Courtney K. said...

Sweet, sweet story! Love that the teachers decided to let her move too and not put up a fight about it. Does my husband count as "that person" for me? Because he really is.

June 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I think that is the sweetest thing ever and I'm so glad the teachers let them stay together. It sounds like she needs him just as much as he needs her.

June 30, 2011 at 3:07 PM  
Blogger Ducky said...

I love Bear and the lessons we learn from him. And I can honestly say YES *BIG SMILE* I DO have a friend like that. And I actually was thinking of him before you ever even posed the question!

Finally....at 32 I have found someone that I don't WANT to let go of. I've always been a bit of a loner. I prefer going with my hands empty...don't get me wrong. I LOVE the comfort of someone at my side and usually its one of my sisters. Life changes and we change but I finally have a Bear Girlfriend :o)

June 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous tracy@sellabitmum said...

OMword - sweetest thing ever.

June 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I love it. Sticking together and not budging unless they can be together. That's how friends should be.

June 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Emmy said...

That is so sweet and cute! And yes we do all need a friend like that and it is good for kids to have a friend like that as no one wants to feel alone.
I do have a couple of friends like that-one whom I just moved away from CA Girl

June 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Very sweet! I think it's hard to find friends like that at any age. I'm glad Bear has such a good friend. I wouldn't be mad either. :)

June 30, 2011 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Cyndy Bush said...

That is so cute! I love that they stuck together and stood their ground.

June 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger KSK said...

Good for Bear! Best Friends are the best :)

June 30, 2011 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

Awww I just saw Emmy's comment. And I just might cry now. And I do agree with her. I also couldn't help but think of UP. Such a sweet movie. And so cute the way they stuck together.

June 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Stephanie in Suburbia said...

I have a friend like that! Before she moved in with us, we saw each other once a year. We kept up by email, but that was often sporadic. But we're always there for each other when we need it, and we always end up hanging out as if it had been 5 minutes since our last meeting instead of 5 months.

I think this shows your son appreciates loyalty and her friendship.

June 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Awe, what a great friend! So sweet!

June 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm glad they didn't force the kids to split up.

July 1, 2011 at 2:26 AM  
Anonymous The Pepperrific Life said...

OH my, this is such a sweet story, I think I need to brush my teeth! Reminds me of my five year old daughter who says she has a boyfriend in school. Like Bear, she refuses to be separated from her boyfriend. It's amazing how much we can learn from our kids. I wish I had somebody like that...

July 1, 2011 at 2:59 AM  
Blogger Jayme said...

I think it's great not only that they stuck together, but that the teachers saw that it would be in everyone's best interest if they stayed together and didn't get all pushy about rules and splitting them up.

July 1, 2011 at 3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. absolutely.

Im so happy Bear has his GF with him!

And cant believe she rolled her eyes at you. RUDE!

July 1, 2011 at 4:07 AM  
Blogger VictoriaKP said...

Bear is one smart kid!

July 1, 2011 at 7:15 AM  
Blogger Kir said...

OMG, that is precious. I am so glad he has such a good friend, someone to stick by and have fun with. Love this story, (My guys have "GFs" too and so I know exactly how it feels when we walk into a place and they are there!!)

I can't wait for your PROUD MOMMY MOMENT now, I know it's going to be incredible, your boys are awesome (even if they need a little Jesus, hey, we all do...;)
xoxo

July 1, 2011 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Kristin @ What She Said said...

Well, that's just pretty much the most adorable story I've ever heard. The only thing that would make it better is if Bear and his girlfriend grow up and get married and you read this post out loud at their wedding.

In all seriousness, that's awesome that he has such a good, loyal friend. Friends like that are hard to come by.

July 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

That is the cutest, sweetest thing. Your little Bear sounds like he was in good hands with his little girlfriend.
No worries about how he was going to be with her around. I'm sure he had a great time and didn't think much about what could've been.

July 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I love that they refused to be separated! Is this the same girl that they were both fighting over? LOL

July 2, 2011 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

I'm a little late reading, but this is a great post. So well-written.

I've signed my child up for VBS on the 18th. He will know no one, but he's okay with it now, and seems to do well, but it is also nice when there is someone that they know.

July 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home