< Things I Can't Say: 3 Lessons Learned from Type A Con Plus Spreading Bloggy Love

This Page

has been moved to new address

3 Lessons Learned from Type A Con Plus Spreading Bloggy Love

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

3 Lessons Learned from Type A Con Plus Spreading Bloggy Love

From Wednesday thru Saturday last week, I was at Type A Parent Conference in Asheville, NC. And no, you don't have to be Type A to attend. It was my secret fear last year that I'd be found out and kicked out for being far from Type A.

And while I took some fun pics- I'll share some a little later today as part of an early Wordless Wednesday and some I'll post on facebook (click "like" over there in my sidebar- you know you want to!!!), and while I learned some valuable info, like how we can't under any circumstances have "like my/a company's facebook page" as even an optional entry in a giveaway, that isn't what I want to talk about right now.

Instead, here are some more general takeaways from the conference, to keep in mind for when you attend a blog conference:

1.  If there is someone you want to get to meet, GO TALK TO THEM. There were a few people that I talked to that had me inwardly thinking OMG, I'm talking to so-and-so and it probably showed on my dorky face.  But, I got to talk to them because I went up to them and talked to them.  Don't ever assume someone doesn't want to talk to you just because they don't approach you first. Conferences are busy and people get caught up in conversations. Most are not ignoring others on purpose and will talk to you if you make the effort to go up to them.  Don't jump to the conclusion that someone is snubbing you.

2.  It's okay to take a break for a little while.  While I went to some fabulous sessions at Type A, I also skipped a few so that I could go relax in my room for a little bit or walk around the adorable town of Asheville with my fabulous roommate/partner-in-crime/other half Ashley.  Conferences can be very go-go-go, and if you don't step away for a minute now and then, you might wind up burnt out and wanting to go to bed at 8pm... which brings me to #3.

3. Even though you will be really tired, stay up late and join the parties!  While I talked to lots of people during the day, the days were more focused on sessions, while I had more in-depth conversations with people drinking hanging out on the patio til all hours of the night. That was where I felt like I really made connections. Um, not the icky I'm using you to get something for me kind of connections, but friendship connections, y'all.

If you've been to Type A or any blogging conference, what tips do you have to add? If you haven't been, what questions do you have?

I'm also over at Creative Kristi's blog today, talking about someone I think does an amazing job at Spreading Bloggy Love 

Labels: , ,

47 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you "got away" and had a great time!

June 28, 2011 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and this is great advice... if I ever decide come out of the closet and take the plunge, so to speak! :)

June 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger Oka said...

wish I could of "got away" just for a few last week

June 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I need to stay up later next time.

June 28, 2011 at 7:45 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

So glad you had a great time, can't wait to see the pictures! And great tips, particularly #1. It's not easy to just go up to someone and say Hi :)

June 28, 2011 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

That's great that you went. I didn't know about it in time since I'm so new.

I've read a few things about Facebook and their rules. I guess they are really wanting to make it hard to promote your page without advertising through them.

June 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Darlene said...

I'm more jealous that you got to be in Asheville, NC! One of these days I may have to attend a conference.

June 28, 2011 at 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Melissa {momcomm} said...

I'd agree with ALL of this. I didn't think I'd be able to stay up late but I sure did! In fact I was up until 3 one night. Sure I was tired but I made some INCREDIBLE connections. I actually met new people right up until the last 2 minutes before I headed upstairs Saturday evening. LOVE that!

June 28, 2011 at 8:13 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

What a fun time! I'm jealous that I wasn't there. Sounds like you made some great friends...glad you had a great time!

June 28, 2011 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I think that I would like to try this conference out sometime. Sounds great.

June 28, 2011 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

My Bro and SIL go to Asheville a lot and I'm jealous that you got to go there!

Sounds like it was a good blog conference!

June 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger NotaSupermom said...

Sounds great! I plan on going next year.

June 28, 2011 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

I've yet to go to a conference. Hopefully soon I can get to one. It sounds like one of the keys is finding a balance so you don't get burned out yet still learn new stuff.

I'm glad you had fun!

June 28, 2011 at 9:08 AM  
Anonymous Kimberly said...

I think blogger ate my comment. Grrrr

June 28, 2011 at 9:19 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Agreed. With all of it. P.S. I need you to email me the picture of us since i somehow neglected to get one on my own camera or phone! Pretty please ... ;)

June 28, 2011 at 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

This sounds like great advice for meeting people no matter where you are. I hope someday to make it to a conference :)

June 28, 2011 at 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Monique {@MayhemMatriarch} said...

I love this concise list! I wish I'd had joined in the parties, but with the baby I figured it best to sleep. Next year!

June 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've only been to one conference so far, but if I could add any advice, it would be to really pay attention to who else is going. When I went to BBC Philly, I was totally oblivious to some of my favorite bloggers. I only learned they were there by reading their wrap up posts. A big "duh!" moment on my part!

June 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Joann Mannix said...

One of these days...

But I can't imagine you feeling OMG about anyone. It's really the other way around. People would be saying that about meeting you.

And I also can't believe I just now noticed your FB page. Sorry for being such a bad blog friend.

June 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Emmy said...

Glad you had a great time. And yes the after parties is really where it's at. I have gotten good at just going up and talking with people as I have to since we move so much

June 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

Sounds like you had a great time--fun and informative. I'd have the hardest time going up to people I've never met real life. Shyness is a real PITA. Maybe someday I'll make it to a conference. Can't wait to hear more about it!

June 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Karen Mortensen said...

Glad you could go and you learned some good things. I really need to work on #1. Thanks for the advice.

June 28, 2011 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm going to BlogHer in August so I need all the tips I can get. Thanks.

June 28, 2011 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I can't wait for BlogHer in August and I really hope I'm brave enough to just go up to people and say hello. And I totally want to go to make friends, or just to meet friends that I've made online. I don't want any icky.

June 28, 2011 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger The Mommyologist said...

I still wish I could've been there with all of you! Oh well...next year I guess!!

June 28, 2011 at 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Galit Breen said...

Such good advice friend! Thank you! XO

June 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger KristinFilut said...

Great info, Shell! I will definitely putting it to use soon!

June 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Mom of 12 said...

I agree that we shouldn't be intimidated by people we think are better (more famous, richer, etc.) than us. On Sunday, Austin Collie attended our church again. I knew my dad wanted an autograph, so even though I can have a conversation with Austin I felt stupid asking him to sign a piece of paper. But he was so gracious about it...some people are just nice, even those who play in the NFL.
Sandy

June 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Jessica | The Frilly Coconut said...

The one thing that I wish I would have done differently with the conference I attend was...bring a friend. I mean, a friend that was familiar with the blogging world - someone that would vow not to leave me in any awkward situations.

Because I didn't have another person by my side, I was very introverted. It's difficult to work up the courage to just walk up and talk to random people. Fortunately, Gigi and a few other people helped me warm up a little!

Next time, I think I'm going to feel like I already KNOW so many people (even if it's through the computer) that I won't have as difficult of a time!

June 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Great tips. Hopefully next time our paths cross we'll have more time to chat!

June 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Courtney K. said...

I love this Blog Conference recaps. :) I haven't been to a conference yet, but one day, when I do go, all of these little pieces of advice are going to come in handy. Glad you had a great time!!

June 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Great advice! I would love to attend Type A someday...I have heard it's one of the best.

June 28, 2011 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger The Mommy Therapy said...

I have been thinking about trying to start attending conferences next year and I get very excited about how worthwhile people think they are...so thank you for sharing!

I love Asheville too. Amazing little town!

June 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

Is that one always in Asheville? I could probably put it on my list for next summer. My husband's sister and her family live close to there so we could make it a road trip. :)

June 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Kir said...

I am hoping to get this conference in 2012 and BlogHer too..and I promise to all these things..along with hugging u!

June 28, 2011 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger A Mommy in the City said...

So glad you had a great time. I love Asheville, I bet it is beautiful this time of year. I would have a hard time with number one because I am a bit shy when it comes to going up to people, but I guess if you have the chance you just have to do it!

June 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

"2. It's okay to take a break for a little while."

Today I'm starting to think that's what sleep is for. (LoL)

Glad you had a good time and was able to stop and appreciate your location. :)

June 28, 2011 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Great tips! I'm planning to go to Blissdom in 2012 so I'll be looking for all the tips I can get!

June 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I love all the tips you come up with.

June 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM  
Blogger BNM said...

sounds fun :) one day IM gonna get to go to one of those lol

June 28, 2011 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

I look to forward to seeing your picks. I would have a very hard time putting myself out there. It's way out of my comfort zone.

June 28, 2011 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger John said...

That "talk to someone you want to meet" is such good advice . . . and so damn difficult to follow. Honestly, I can see myself turning into a mumbling idiot if I were at a blogging conference.

"I....I....I....I read what . . . I like what . . . nevermind."

June 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger The Sisters' Hood said...

I attended two conferences with the delightful Shell - and she is awesome! Get to one, I highly recommend it ...

June 28, 2011 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is awesome! So happy you had fun! I love your advice. I bet everyone was thrilled to see YOU there!

June 28, 2011 at 10:36 PM  
Blogger Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I love hearing what everybody learned. I hope I can go to a conference one of these days, but am still rather intimidated!

June 28, 2011 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger KSK said...

I've just started looking into going to conferences, so this is helpful info! :) Thanks!

June 29, 2011 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Asheville is gorgeous. I'm looking for your facebook button and can't find it (don't worry - I will). My facebook page is highly underutilized.

June 30, 2011 at 11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home