< Things I Can't Say: Things They Can't Say: The Adventures of Daddy Runs a Lot

This Page

has been moved to new address

Things They Can't Say: The Adventures of Daddy Runs a Lot

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, November 11, 2011

Things They Can't Say: The Adventures of Daddy Runs a Lot

In the almost 18 months that I've had a Friday guest, I've only featured one other guy besides today's feature. Because for the most part, this is a community of women. But, it's nice to hear from the "other side" now and then. And today's guest fits in so well in the mom blog world. Please welcome John from The Adventures of Daddy Runs a Lot.


On the whole, I'm not a worrier. Typically, if I am worried about something, we've moved beyond the point where worrying would be proper and we've moved onto the stage where worrying is useless and action is required.

But, lately, I've found myself worrying. More specifically, about two years ago, I started worrying. What's worse is that I've been worrying about stuff that, well, you absolutely can't control. Worrying, typically, is useless . . . but, sometimes you worry over something and you come up with a plan to actually change the course of the thing you're worrying about. But, there are tons of things that will just play out - and worrying about them is just pointless. Of course, it's those things that I worry about.

I worry about my job. I worry about the number of hours that I spend working it. I worry about losing it and how I'd provide for my family. And I worry, just as much, about keeping this job for forever, because I don't have the "this isn't really work, but I get paid for it" vibe that I once convinced myself that I'd have . . . and that I hope my children grow up knowing.

I worry that the line between "daddy" and "husband" gets blurred and lost.

I worry that I don't do enough at home. I worry more that I find myself longing for "peace and quiet and just a minute to myself" when I am at home. So, there are times that I get home and try to do everything - and long more and more for just that minute of silence. And, once that minute of silence is attained, I worry that I'm being reclusive.

I worry when I reach for a beer or a glass of wine - both in the fact that I might not have any more beer or wine, or that there's some part of me that feels that I need it.

I worry that something will happen to me, and my kids won't remember me. So, I work out in the extreme early morning, and over lunches, to try to make myself as strong and healthy as possible.

I worry that my "five year plan" is nothing more than "let's wait and see," but, honestly, I can't see much past the next week.

I worry that I'll lose my phone, and with it, lose any track of the weekend commitments I've made to my band, or couples getting married, or community theaters needing a musician. You'd think I'd keep better track of my calendar because of this (ask me, some day, about my photo backup strategy if you want to see a fully anal-retentive John), but I trust worry to do it all.

I worry about my two year old son not speaking yet. I worry that he's well on his way to becoming a superstar athlete, and I worry about the constant worry I'll face about him getting hurt because that.

I worry about the speed at which my daughter figures things out, and the way that, even at 17 months old, she's quite clear about what she does not want. I worry about her being far smarter and more motivated than I am.

I worry about my kids having their hearts broken.

I worry that I'm not doing enough for their future educations.

I worry about my kids finding out just what kind of student I was.

I worry about my kids becoming fans of the Dallas Cowboys. Or worse, the Oakland Raiders.

I worry about the way I eat when I worry, which makes me want to reach for another donut, which makes me worry more, which makes me daydream of nachos.

I worry that I now want nachos. Badly. And maybe some wine. After a donut, of course.


Please leave John some comment love here and then go follow The Adventures of Daddy Runs a Lot. You can also find him on twitter @daddyrunsalot

Labels: ,

51 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Nice to see you here, John!

Worries - I've got them aplenty too. Then I go eat a cupcake and try not to worry about the calories.

November 11, 2011 at 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Teresa (Embracing the Spectrum) said...

I'm a worrier too...

November 11, 2011 at 7:18 AM  
Anonymous Galit Breen said...

LOVE seeing John here! And yes, I worry (a lot), too. And I worry about that. :)

November 11, 2011 at 7:22 AM  
Blogger McKenna said...

So good to see John here, I have just been getting to know him through his blog and this post is a perfect reason why everyone loves him so much.
I'm not a major worrier day to day until someone coughs or sneezes and then you need to hand me a tranquilizer to dull my nervous shakes.

November 11, 2011 at 7:29 AM  
Blogger The Preppy Girl in Pink said...

If you want to know how much I worry...just take a look at my head...it is being overrun by gray hairs these days. Thank goodness for highlights!!!
Great post about about just living it general. It's amazing we can live as long as we do with the stress upon us!

November 11, 2011 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have many of these worries too. It was wonderful to meet you.

November 11, 2011 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think that worrying is just part of life... as much as we try to not worry about things in our life it's just to hard to not. Especially this day in age!

It's nice to see a guys thoughts!

November 11, 2011 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger LA Botchar said...

Thanks so much for sharing a Daddy's point of view. How amazing to know that we mommies clearly don't shoulder the burden of worry alone!

or strange food cravings. thanks John for sharing!

November 11, 2011 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Cameron said...

Let's all just have a donut and worry together! At least we'll have wonderful company...

November 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

Hi John. Cheers *raises donut*

I'm a worrier, too, especially over things I can't control.

November 11, 2011 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger The Blonde Duck said...

Now I want nachos.

November 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I can totally relate. Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday! It is interesting to hear a male perspective. Thanks for sharing.

November 11, 2011 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I worry that I worry too much! ;-)

November 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger TheUnSoccerMom said...

Wow... that's A LOT of worrying... but I get it. We worry because we care. If you didn't worry about your kids, I'd worry about you..

now, where's the nachos??

November 11, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Emmy said...

I think we all do it. It is so easy to wonder and question- the key is not let the worry rule us. Great to see a guy blogger out there :)

November 11, 2011 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger yamilovesemma said...

You are not alone John....I realy enjoyed your post, I'm in love with guy bloggers.

November 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

I'm with Cam, let's just all have a donut and worry together...

John, I'm so with you. I've lost sleep over the things I worry about (and have no control over).

Enjoyed this alot. So nice to "read" you!

November 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's encouraging for me that I am not alone in my worries!

November 11, 2011 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Let's just say that I probably couldn't function at all if I wasn't able to worry. And can you send some of that wine over here?!

November 11, 2011 at 12:35 PM  
Anonymous Tracy @nystoopmama said...

Love this post! I am a chronic worrier, which only causes anxiety and makes me feel sick, which makes me worry even more. When you learn the secret for chilling out, please let me know. Although I really think that's what wine and nachos are for.

November 11, 2011 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

It's okay, I worry a lot too.

And now I want nachos.

And a donut.

November 11, 2011 at 1:20 PM  
Anonymous tracy@sellabitmum said...

Love seeing John here. Are you Catholic by chance? ;) lol Just asking as my whole family is and worrying seems part of the program for us.

November 11, 2011 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John is one of my favorites and worthy of praise.

Keep your head up, my friend.

November 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Anonymous Jocelyn @ ScooterMarie said...

What a great post! I love hearing a Daddy's point of view.

November 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Nachos, wine, donuts, worry.
Yep.

You're normal.
(Or a dad.)

Either and both.
XO

November 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Macey said...

Yep, a normal, and sounds like awesome, dad.
I, myself, am also worried the kids will become Cowboys or Raiders fans. OR. Democrats. HAHAHAHA! I crack myself up.

November 11, 2011 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Okay guy, you gotta stop worrying! Everything's going to be okay.
Breathe in, breathe out.
Have peace :)

(I'm sure most of those thoughts run through my husband's mind, too!)

November 11, 2011 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Hi John....I think we all worry about one thing or another.

November 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I am of the opinion that worrying burns calories so the food doesn't count ;)

November 11, 2011 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

It is great to hear from a guys point of view of fatherhood/holding it all together. Thanks for featuring him!

November 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

I am the queen of worry and wonder where the heck my kids get it. I think it's just part of our human nature and when we have kids it really comes out.

November 11, 2011 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Kim said...

Yes, to all that, in some form. Worry is a butt kicker. This was great post, John. I hope it felt good, and eased some of the worry to write it down.

November 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger mCat said...

LOVE this post, probably mostly so because it comes written by a husband/father and so nicely written.

We're all used to women worrying - we do that so well and for stuff and people that we can't do a damn thing about.

This post makes me wonder how much my own husband worries, but never lets on to me.

Great job John

November 11, 2011 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Not a Perfect Mom said...

ooh, a guy!
Ah yes...worries...
I think you probably just described more than half of us...

November 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You sound like most other parents. We are all worried about something and/or everything. I would start with filling your concern for nachos and then go from there.

November 11, 2011 at 10:00 PM  
Blogger Rach (DonutsMama) said...

I thought I worried a lot before I had a baby. That was nothing compared to all the things I think about now!

November 11, 2011 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Isn't it awful that the more you worry the more things you find to worry about?

November 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger SupermomToki said...

I hate worrying. Especially when you dwell on it then it becomes torturous. Not healthy for the mind and the body.

November 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

Good gracious! That was like the male version of what goes on inside my head. Welcome to parenthood, I guess!

November 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger angela said...

Hi John! I worry. I understand :) I don't have nachos here; I will have to settle for some of Abbey's Halloween candy.

November 12, 2011 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Natalie @ MamaTrack said...

Love seeing the male perspective. It's a nice reminder that we aren't as different as we think sometimes, right?

Great job, guys!

November 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger Leigh Powell Hines said...

I think this is a great perspective, and it really reminds me of my husband because I think he thinks about the same things, but he keeps the outdoor refrig...really well stocked, but he gets mad when i take the last beer.

November 13, 2011 at 11:00 AM  
Anonymous No Drama Mama said...

Nice to know that mothers aren't the only ones who worry. Of course, I already knew that, from watching my husband's hair grow touches of silver since the birth of our daughter, but it's nice to read someone else's words.

November 13, 2011 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Katie Hurley, LCSW said...

You sound a lot like my husband...also a musician. Great post. It's always nice to hear from a dad.

November 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

What a nice peek into the other side....I'm a worrier too:) You are not alone!

November 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Missy | Literal Mom said...

Congrats! I'm a fellow worrier. It can be truly exhausting.

November 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Mad Woman behind the Blog said...

Man, you know I love you. More than I should love a stranger on the internet (settle down, John knows I use "stranger" with all the affection my mad self has)but DUDE, you totally just stressed me out with your worry.

And, do you think you could have some bro time with Adonis because he could use a little of this.

I'll supply the wine and nachos and cycle/run buddy.

November 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger mypixieblog said...

What a great guest post this was! I'm a worrier, too. Wasn't always, but it seems I find more and more things to concern myself with as the years go by.

Sometimes we just need to chill out. More wine? :) That sometimes takes a bit of the edge off.

November 16, 2011 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Oh, John...

you have a heart of gold.

xo

November 17, 2011 at 8:33 AM  
Anonymous A Mother's Thoughts said...

Are you sure you're not a woman?!?! LOL But really I glad to meet you and can't wait to go to your blog to check out some of your other thoughts. I am a worrier too, but my worries bring me to the point of anxiety. It sucks, to loose control of your heart. To be frozen in your mind. I am sure that you are doing a great job, don't worry your happiness away! :)

Lynn

November 17, 2011 at 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Eve @BeautifulSpitUp said...

I worry a ton too, John. That's just part of being a superstar parent. Trust me, I know.

I'll think of you next time I devour a donut or enjoy an extra glass of wine. Cheers, my friend.

November 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home