< Things I Can't Say: Pour Your Heart Out: When Our Babies Don't Need Us Any More

This Page

has been moved to new address

Pour Your Heart Out: When Our Babies Don't Need Us Any More

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pour Your Heart Out: When Our Babies Don't Need Us Any More

If you have never visited Pour Your Heart Out before, see THIS post for more information- but it's personal- it's what YOU think is pouring your heart out. Please grab the PYHO button or link back in your post if you are participating.

Again, just a brief reminder that everyone linking is pouring their hearts out and we should all be respectful in our comments. ;)




 



My middle son, my Bear, turned 5 on Saturday. It's a big milestone. Five means no more baby.

Bear was SO EXCITED for his birthday.  It was all he could talk about for days.

But, one day I heard him saying "I'm five, I'm five, I don't need Mom to help me."

WHAT? You don't need Mommy any more????

Bear heaved a big sigh and informed me that he was practicing.  I dug around and found a note from his preschool- there was a poem that they are supposed to practice for their end of the year program called "I'm Five."

One of Bear's practices (right after bathtime- and yes, he does have on clothes):


In case you do not speak Bear:

I'm five, I'm five, I'm a big kid now, I'm five!
I can dress myself. I don't need Mom to help me anymore:
And when I sit in my dad's chair,
My feet can touch the floor (well, almost)

I'm five, I'm five, I'm a big kid now, I'm five!
My mother doesnt' scold me just for going without a hat!
She knows good and well, I'm too old for that!
What? Does she think I'm three?
Huh? Not me!
What? Does she think I'm four?
I'm more than four!
I'm even more than four and a half!
I'm FIVE! (well, almost)

How cute is that?

Except that I don't like to think about my Bear being so grown up that he doesn't need his mama. He'll always need me, right?

Just not like he did back then:



It's such a bittersweet mama moment, his 5th birthday. But since he just told me "I love you in my heart, Mom," I think I'll try to focus on the sweet.

Labels:

79 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! That poem is actually from Barbra Streisand's "Color Me Barbra." And I had it on a Sharon, Lois, and Bram album.

And I think they'll always need us in some capacity. It's just whether or not they want to admit it---and whether or not we're willing to back off. Which I don't feel like I ever will be. lol

May 11, 2011 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

That poem got me all teary. I don't want to think about my kiddo turning 5. He's turning 3 in two weeks and I just can't think about it!

May 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in a similar head space today, my babies are turning One at the end of the month. They are still little and they still need me but... I miss them already.

May 11, 2011 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Oka said...

Rest assured, he will ALWAYS need his Mom. His needs just change with the seasons of his life.

May 11, 2011 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aww I have never heard that poem. Mine are so far past 5 it makes my head spin. Our youngest turns 12 this year.. I am old.

May 11, 2011 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Katina said...

Awwwh, the times moves so quickly!

May 11, 2011 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Awwww...they grow so fast!

May 11, 2011 at 8:21 AM  
Blogger Not a Perfect Mom said...

preschool graduation almost killed me last year and I have kid #2 doing it this year...
I'm not made of stone people! Why must they make us cry?

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Tara R. said...

I so feel this right now. My daughter will be moving out, on her own, this fall to attend grad school. Even though she's been off at college these last four years, this is the real deal, out first one out of the nest. It happened overnight.

May 11, 2011 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Of course he will still need you. It isn't like he can drive! :)

Plus it is just as sweet when they get to the point where they WANT to be with you too. (Ok. Sometimes they just want the ride, but I just pretend.)

May 11, 2011 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! I can't think of a better way to wake up this morning! That is precious!! 5 is bittersweet. He's still so little and helpless. Don't worry yet. He needs you still! :)
Happy Birthday, Bear!!!

May 11, 2011 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

That is so cute! Even if he doesn't show it, he will always need you.

My son gave me a poem on the first day of kindergarten that was similar. I turned into a blubbering idiot when I read it.

May 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a big boy! I know he still needs you and will for years. JDaniel has decided he doesn't need me either.

May 11, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger amygrew said...

He's just cute! 5 is a tough age for the moms. I don't know why that sounds so old. My middle one will be 5 in January and I am already having a mini heart attack.

Keep focusing on the cute :)

May 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh. That was the sweetest thing. he is adorable... And he'll always need you, even if he doesn't admit it :-)

May 11, 2011 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger The Riggs Family said...

What a cute poem! It's so hard to watch them grow up. But even as an adult, there are still times I feel like I NEED my mom and dad. He will always NEED you, just not like he did when he was a baby. He looks like such a sweet kiddo. :-)

May 11, 2011 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger The Random Blogette said...

He is so adorable! Paige and him would be so cute together! She likes the young ones! (She will be 6 in August!)I love that he said that he loves you in his heart. That would've made me cry!

May 11, 2011 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

This breaks my heart for so many reasons...first because it's so cute, second because it's a little sad! There are days when I think, OMG, I just want a second to myself, then I read things like this and think...someday he won't want to be held. Thanks for sharing this!

May 11, 2011 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Dawna said...

Awww. Yes, I know what you mean. The last of my babies is going to be 5 next week, and it's hard to believe. In a way, I wish she would stay small, but I know that won't happen...

Happy Hump Day!

~Dawna

May 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That is so adorable. But you know he will always need his mommy. It's just how he needs you that will change. XOXO.

May 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Emmy said...

Our Pour Our hearts out have the same theme- except I am mourning that my baby is turning 1! LOL
That is an adorable poem- though yes very bittersweet.

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Awww, it's so bittersweet our babies growing up. It's hard to see them grow up before our eyes and teach them how to be adults without us one day. I always try to remember to enjoy the small moments when they still need me: taking care of boo boos, giving hugs when they're sick or sad, goodnight kisses and hugs.

May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger KristinFilut said...

Aw, I love the wanna-be big kid! He looks and sounds so sweet!

May 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger championm2000 said...

Oh, I am sooo not ready for that day!

May 11, 2011 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger BNM said...

awwww ADORABLE!!!! Bailey is 4 and he is already needing me less and less its sad but a good thing as well

May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Pierce turns 5 in October. But we're currently struggling with major regression - because his twin brothers get so much attention he's acting like a baby all the time and generally driving me nuts. I wish he would start acting older! ugh!

May 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

That is the sweetest thing! 5 is such a huge milestone. Can't they just stay little forever?!?

May 11, 2011 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger John said...

Speaking from experience, we always need our mommas :-)

Very, very, very cute post.

May 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Awww, he's adorable. Don't sorry Shell, he'll need you all his life, just in different ways. Damn, they grow up fast.

May 11, 2011 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Macey said...

The days, they drag...but the years, they fly.
UGH.
He is adorable, momma.

May 11, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Aww, that is so cute. These babies just grow up way to fast!

May 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Our kids will always need us in their lives, just in different ways. They certainly grow up way too fast!

May 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Babes Mami said...

Aww I got a little teary eyed too. he's adorable!

They better still need us always!

May 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

Awww. He'll always need you. And even if sometimes he doesn't, he'll love you, and that's the most important thing anyway!

May 11, 2011 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

He is absolutely so adorable! And yes, he will always need you! My 31 year old bf still has to call him mom from time to time for advice (much to my annoyance...haha)

May 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so cute!

He'll always need his mom. :)

May 11, 2011 at 11:22 AM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

That is adorable!! It is sad when they don't need up the same way anymore. But then they need us in a new way and it is not so bad.

May 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Absolutely adorable...5 is a big milestone for the kiddos! :) Our kids will always need their mom!!! :)

May 11, 2011 at 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Sharon at Momof6 said...

So very cute! But don't you worry- he is still going to need you for a very long time!

May 11, 2011 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh that is just so precious. I love it. :)


And yeah, so bitter sweet.

May 11, 2011 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Kir said...

oh the cuteness , I am overcome with the cuteness and that song. WOW.

Oh my goodness, I hate that they are growing up and away from us. They will always be those little babies to me.

Happy Birthday Bear. xo

May 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Tayarra said...

So cute! It really is bittersweet. He'll always need his momma in some form! My oldest turns 5 at the end of the month. Puts a big lump in my throat!

May 11, 2011 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The video was adorable but the line about not needing momma anymore made me tear up a little.

May 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger PBJdreamer said...

AWE

It is hard when they keep growing so fast. But here's a tidbit, they ALWAYS need mom, even when they are grown.

They just need me for different reasons than wiping their butt--which actually is wonderful

SO you have that to look forward to!!

that is all

May 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Good lord he's adorable! I thank god every day recently that the baby needs me - because my three year old is growing up way too fast for my liking!

May 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, our babies are growing up, it is totally sad... How did you get those numbers to appear on your comments?

:)

May 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Hutch said...

Awwww! That is just too much! Happy Birthday to the little guy :)

May 11, 2011 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

I was just cuddling my son--who will be six in the fall--yesterday and I just didn't want to let go. They will always need us. But they do grow up so fast. Bear is so cute!!!

May 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Cole turns 5 this summer. :( I don't care for that part of the poem, either.

May 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Cindi said...

Awe, happy birthday to Bear.

May 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

It was big when Kate hit 5, but I think it'll be harder when Maddie does cuz then there really aren't any more babies in the house!

May 11, 2011 at 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Galit Breen said...

Oh that was adorable!

My middle little girl just turned 5, too, and it *is* such a big milestone!

And for the record: Yes. yes, he *will always need you!

May 11, 2011 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

I think there is something ingrained in boys that makes them always *need* their mama! The need changes as they grow but it remains. Josiah is more and more independent but he still looks back to see whether or not I'm watching him fly. And I'm here... watching, cheering, praying, trying not to cry!

May 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SOOO Darn adorable!!! LOVE IT!!!

May 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Alissa said...

I love how he shakes his finger while saying he doesn't need your help. So cute!

Now tell him to stop growing. :)

May 11, 2011 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh! Sooo precious. :)

May 11, 2011 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Five is always a tough birthday for me. There is a transition btwn baby and kid. It makes me all sniffly.

May 11, 2011 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger sheryl lontok said...

Happy birthday, Bear!

It's quite hard for moms to handle situations when we see our kids all grown up. In your case, Shell, at least he said you're in his heart:) And that's the sweetest thing about it :)

May 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Grand Pooba said...

Awww, Bear's so cute! At age 5 AND 0!!

May 11, 2011 at 6:25 PM  
Blogger Cyndy Bush said...

They will totally always need you, just in different ways. I have learned that as my kids get older. Even my 18 year old son still needs his mama.

May 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Heather H said...

Aww, how sweet! I love that video! And the poem is so cute...not to mention the poem reciter.

And I think I will probably cry when my baby says, "I don't need Mama anymore."

May 11, 2011 at 7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sweet - they will always need their mama (whether they know it or not!) Seeing videos of him makes me miss you guys so much!

May 11, 2011 at 8:01 PM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

What a cute poem and at the same time, how harsh! Couldn't they have picked something a little easier for the moms to hear???? :)

It's both amazing and oh so hard to watch them grow!

Happy Birthday Bear!

May 11, 2011 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger KSK said...

"I love you in my heart" AWE! Brings tears to my eyes!
Bear is SO STINKIN' CUTE!!!

May 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is just super cute!!! That comment, "I love you in my heart Mom" brought tears to my eyes, that is just too sweet!!!

May 11, 2011 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have to say, what kind of poem is that?? Sheesh. Luckily, it is delivered by one of the cutest little boys ever so he can make up for the writing ;)

May 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Ameena said...

This is why you are a good mom and I'm not...because I cannot WAIT for my daughter to grow up and do things for herself. I hate that I just admitted that. But it's the truth!

May 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Brandi said...

Even though I know it's coming, it breaks my heart a little bit that my babies aren't going to need me someday! I have one who turns five this year as well and it's already gone by so fast.

May 11, 2011 at 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I tweeted this to you on Saturday, but 5 is a heartbreaker for me. It is a huge milestone and such a definitive shift to big kid (as evidenced by the poem!). Hugs - I understand. Though the good part of turning 5 is that they're no longer 4! ;)

May 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

I understood every word. He's adorable and so grown up (well, almost)!

May 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Craptastic Mommy - Sh!t in the Bathtub said...

He is so cute - I love the sniffles and the whispers!! Its all about Roots and Wings - and yes he will still need you!! Happy Birthday!!

May 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger mypixieblog said...

Gosh, is he ever adorable. What a sweet post, Shell. It is a bittersweet moment to see the little ones get older, but no matter what he says, Bear will always love and need his momma :) *HUGS*

May 12, 2011 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Tracie Nall said...

He will always need you!!

I love that he said he loves you in his heart. that is so sweet!

May 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I feel ya! My only child just turned 5. I am comfortable with our decision to just have one, but with every milestone we pass, it breaks my heart to know that's it. But they always DO NEED THEIR MOMMIES! :) Love this post!

May 12, 2011 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger MommaKiss said...

Oh dear, Shell. Seriously "swoooooon" over this.  My kiddo who is almost six. Losing teeth left and right. Doesn't need me at all to help him get dressed. I'm actually OK with those moments where he's a big whiner and just wants to sit with me and snuggle.  They get way too big way too soon.  [this better feckin post, damn blogger bs.

May 13, 2011 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Brandy@YDK said...

that's the sweetest ever. My son is 2 1/2 and lots of days I'm so glad he's getting big and can do things on his own. but then it feels like i'm losing a part of him.

May 13, 2011 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Happy Birthday, Bear! I can't believe how old they are all getting! It's crazy. Where does it all go?

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

May 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger A Mommy in the City said...

Happy Birthday Bear! He is just the cutest! I love his poem! He is a big boy momma!

May 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Elena Wollborg said...

That video was so precious. I'm sitting here tearing up during my lunch break. What an adorable little guy!

May 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home