< Things I Can't Say: Dear Husbands: Top 10 Ways to Show a Mom You Love Her

This Page

has been moved to new address

Dear Husbands: Top 10 Ways to Show a Mom You Love Her

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, February 14, 2011

Dear Husbands: Top 10 Ways to Show a Mom You Love Her


1.  YOU get up with a screaming child in the middle of the night. Without having to be kicked or shaken awake.


2.  Call her at lunchtime to tell her not to worry about dinner because you are going to bring something home.


3.  Tell her she looks hot in her yoga pants.  Without saying they would look hotter on the floor beside your bed.


4.  Tell her she's a fabulous mom.


5.  Change a stinky diaper. Without asking for a medal for it.  Bonus points if you potty-train said child.


6.  Let her sleep in without having to be deathly ill.


7.  Tell her to go take a hot bath or shower while you get the kids ready for bed.  Without implying that you can't remember the last time she bathed.


8.  Compliment her in front of other people. Just not as your facebook status. Because that is obnoxious.


9.  Say "I love you." A lot. Duh.


10. Bring her chocolate-covered strawberries.  Without telling her that she'll need to go to the gym to work them off.  Note: chocolate-covered strawberries are my own personal addiction.  Do not get her these if she's allergic to strawberries. Again: duh.


Okay, ladies, chime in: how can your husband show you that he loves you? Not just on Valentine's Day, but everyday.

Doing something I rarely do- adding a p.s here b/c some of you are thinking that I'm calling my Hubs a jerk on Valentine's Day. I'm not. He rocks. And does most of these things- except the diaper thing- but I don't like to change them, either.  My point? It's the little things that really show the love.

Labels:

82 Comments:

Blogger Oka said...

Offer to run your kids to their sporting practices/games without her having a major meltdown because she can't be in four places in one time.

February 14, 2011 at 7:08 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I like the sleeping in..maybe do the dishes without being asked, that would be nice. Give a back massage and not expect anything in return!

February 14, 2011 at 7:30 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Saying good night, good morning goodbye and kissing you at each time to show you he loves you is high in my book :)

February 14, 2011 at 7:32 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

LOVE Can I print this and put it on the fridge? :)
Happy Valentine's Day

February 14, 2011 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd faint if I came home to a sink and dishwasher EMPTY because all the dishes were clean. Add in a vacuumed floor and I might just think I'd died and gone to heaven.

Forget flowers, I'd like guilt free help around the house. :)

February 14, 2011 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

I think you're list is perfect! I can't think of anything else off the top of my head to add!

February 14, 2011 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger Eternal Lizdom said...

Our favorite thing to say as a show of our love and respect for each other is something we actually got from Dr. Phil of all places. When one of our kids back talks or is disrespectful, the other parent steps in to say, "You will not treat my wife (husband) that way."

February 14, 2011 at 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kate. I'd LOVE for him to do some things around the house without tooting his own horn when he does, or acting like he's the KING because he cleaned the family room. Seriously? You wanna be a King, clean the whole house every single week. Better yet, HIRE someone to do it. ;)

February 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger Kir said...

I read all of these and said to myself
I can't even make a snide comment, my hubby does all this and doesn't ask for much at all. He's still a GUY, but he really is such a help, such a humor, such a hugger that I can't and won't complain.

however, I want every hubby to be like this for every girl...goodness knows we all deserve it. *HUGS*

February 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

I might have to send the link to this to my husband. lol

I'd like to add husbands could show their love by taking over homework duty. Especially multiplication flashcards!

February 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I love the yoga pants one. Why does every one of their compliments HAVE to get back to them getting some? :)

February 14, 2011 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger MommaKiss said...

Cleaning. Of any kind.

February 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Thank god for DaisyGal because not all men are like this and the list goes both ways.

February 14, 2011 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger The Random Blogette said...

Tell me I look pretty! I can't remember the last time he told me that I looked nice or pretty. I must really look like shit lately!

February 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger KLZ said...

YOU take the kid(s) grocery shopping while I stay home for an hour to "relax".

February 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Megan (Best of Fates) said...

You look hot in yoga pants.

I can just sense it.

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Shell you would love what's in my fridge right now, I made a bunch of Choc. covered strawberries and they are YUM!

February 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Bringing home dinner is the quickest way to my heart!

And I got a good chuckle out of your yoga pants point! :)

February 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love it!! I just wish he'd do all of those things more than just on V Day! Lol!! What is it with hubs and expecting extra credit for helping out??? :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

February 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Amanda @ It's Blogworthy said...

This may be weird, but my best valentine's day gift ever would be my husband doing the laundry for me and cleaning up the dishes. It's the little things. nothing makes me feel more loved than when he does the laundry!!

February 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Emmy said...

Great list!! My husband says "have I told you you're beautiful today". He also always thanks me for dinner and then usually does the dishes.

February 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Play with Drake while I blog :)

February 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giving me those "I love you" looks - w/o expecting anything else - as we are laying in bed at night to go to sleep next to eachother.

It totally is the little things!

February 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Macey said...

Oh, far and away the dinner thing.
Or, he could fold the laundry. :)

February 14, 2011 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

My hubby is pretty good too. I'd love to find a little handwritten note from him from time to time though.

February 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Any of these would score major points with me!

February 14, 2011 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Desperate Housemommy said...

Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! *waving hand around in the air*.

Pour your lovely bride a glass of wine, hand her the book over which she's been obsessing, and instruct her to sit down. Then assume the carpooling duties for the evening. Aaaaahhhhhh.

February 14, 2011 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh number 2. My husband has never ever brought home dinner. What a luxury that would be!

Hey Shell, what happened to your stories about your relationship? I haven't seen any in awhile (I think).

February 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Nichole said...

Okay, numbers 3 &7 are just awesome.
Filling my gas tank for me is probably the thing that I appreciate most. Swoon. ;)

February 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger TornadoTwos said...

Great list, my fav is the diaper/potty training thing. For me it's the hug & kiss hello and goodbye that mean the most.

February 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Jayme said...

Aaron's really good about all of this type of stuff too :) We got us some keepers!

February 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Debby@Just Breathe said...

I enjoyed this post a lot! Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day.

February 14, 2011 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

My hubby lets me sleep in every Saturday and Sunday...because he knows I need it after 10 years of lack of sleep.

My hubby is not very good at doing romantic gestures...but maybe he will surprise me.

Happy Valentine's Day lil sis! :)

February 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I never thought you were calling your Hubs a jerk. I actually was shaking my head in agreement throughout your entire entry!

February 14, 2011 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger FreeFlying said...

Give her a back rub without punctuating it with whines about your fingers getting sore. (Nothing is less attractive than a man who is so weak that his fingers can't handle a little rubbing.)

p.s. I linked to you in my post! You're my inspiration...

February 14, 2011 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Love it, Shell.. great list. :) It IS the little things ... a few weeks ago I had a really insane work week and the laundry was piling up everywhere. My husband took all of Saturday to do the laundry and get me caught up so I wouldn't have to go into the next week feeling overwhelmed. Major points with this mama.

February 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Daisygirl said...

fabulous fabulous fabulous! I did get breakfast in bed that was awesome!

Happy Valentines day my friend!!!

February 14, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Wash the dishes... without being begged.

February 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Definitely the little things that count, and he does them, for the most part...although, he is your typical man. I know he loves me :)

Today he surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of flowers. The biggest he's ever given me!

February 14, 2011 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

your #3 is my fav i'll definately ditto that

February 14, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Liz Mays said...

I love physical affection that is not given in anticipation of more. Just give me a hug for a hug's sake.

February 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

We don't do a lot for Valentine's day...but it is the everyday, little things that let's me know he loves me. He always fills up the vehicle with gas because he knows i hate to do it. He does all the taxi-ing in the evenings with the kids because, again, I don't enjoy that. He always helps me clean up the supper mess. And he helps get the kids ready for bed. Doing everyday things for each other....just because!

February 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Trooper Thorn said...

I wash and vacuum out her car and clean the garage because I know she'd like it. Then she takes off MY yoga pants!

February 14, 2011 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Well, I can't pick on him too much because he was very sweet this morning. But! I'd say he needs to take a load of dirty cloth diapers (we have twins, so there are always loads), carry them to the basement, stick them in the washer with detergent and turn it on. He's never done this. Not once. Sigh.

February 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM  
Blogger natalee said...

lol!These are soooooooooo true.... especially the sleep in one... im dying to take a shower without a kid whining..opening the curtain etc..

February 14, 2011 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Tina L. Hook said...

He asks me to relax while he cleans up after dinner. It sounds small but it is my first restful moment all day.

Happy V-Day!

February 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Perfect list, I may print this and put in on my husbands pillow. He especially needs to read all tips on letting me sleep and handling potty training.

February 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger We 2 Bees said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I didn't take it that you were implying your husband didn't do these things.

Mine rocks too and already does most of these things as well.

One thing he does that lets me know he loves me is listens to me vent about things I know he doesn't care about!

February 14, 2011 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Sassy Salsa girl said...

Oh I love this one Shell!!! It's totally about the little things.
Sending a link to my husband.......now. :D

February 14, 2011 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Heather (One Take On Life) said...

Love the list, so true it is all about the little things.
I would say, pick up your clothes and put them in the hamper, it is hard to figure out what is clean and what isn't if it is just hanging on a hook in the closet or strewn on the bench.

February 14, 2011 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

I'm simple:

Just be nice.

xo

February 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Not a Perfect Mom said...

every night I get all tucked into bed then Eric shuts the lights off and stumbles his way in...
and it's a big to do since there's usually toys and debris everywhere...
ahhh...love

February 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Babes Mami said...

Have you ever tried Edible Arrangements chocolate covered strawberries? They are AH-MAZING!!!

February 14, 2011 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

Ooooh my husband sooo needs the yoga" one. And who wouldn't love dinner brought home? My husband lets me sleep in whenever he is off or sleep til he has to leave for work at 830. That's a major treat!

February 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

My husband does a pretty good job every day. I do have to say I appreciated the one about complimenting the yoga pants WITHOUT the "next to the bed" part. That's key!

February 14, 2011 at 8:33 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

Those are excellent!!

February 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Loukia said...

Love, love LOVE this list! Thank you! I don't think I have slept in in over five years... that's right, since becoming a mom!

February 15, 2011 at 12:13 AM  
Blogger Mrs Montoya said...

You pretty much covered it for me. Getting up at night with a babe or covering dinner would definitely do it for me! PERFECT!!!

February 15, 2011 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

#3 is awesome...how did you know everything gets pervy in my house too???

February 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM  
Blogger J9 said...

Rework the budget so your wife can go for that expensive hairdo she has been wanting to have done for a very long time - thats what mine did!!

February 15, 2011 at 8:09 AM  
Anonymous Kenneth Copeland said...

Your list is the best!

February 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Mrs Montoya said...

You pretty much covered it for me. Getting up at night with a babe or covering dinner would definitely do it for me! PERFECT!!!

February 15, 2011 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Angelia said...

As the kids get older, the needs change. I'm going with You pick the kids up from the movies then drive the friend to her house for drop off then drive to other friends to get overnight gear then drive to taco bell and back home. At 11pm.

:P

February 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Fields said...

Surprising me by saying "I'll worry about dinner tonight" would make my year!

February 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Kristy @Loveandblasphemy said...

My husband does lots of daily things to contribute. I want more of the I love you and think you are sexy kind of attention from him.

February 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are awesome! I feel bad because we had chocolate-covered strawberries the day before Valentines. WE were going to eat them on Valentine's Day. My kids ate them first. :( Bad mommy for not stopping them. *Sigh*

On another note, do you mind stopping back over to my blog to vote for your favorite Captcha Balderdash definition later today? I don't feel like I can truly calculate the votes until I hear from you! I will understand if you are not able to, but I thought I'd ask. Thank you! :)

February 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Joy@TPMG said...

This is a great list! I love when my husband lets me sleep in. It really is the little things.

February 15, 2011 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

The one about the shower made me laugh out loud. Great list!

February 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

I always feel loved when I come home to a clean kitchen and washed dishes! We don't have a dishwasher so this is doubly important! And it actually happens fairly often!

February 15, 2011 at 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Offering to put our little guy to bed without me having to ask is a real gift in my book.
99% of the time i'm doing the bathing etc. and it gets old. So i always appreciate a pass on that routine.

February 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE this list. :)

February 15, 2011 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved when he folded the laundry.

February 15, 2011 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

I'd settle for just a simple, "Sweetie, I appreciate everything you do for our family". Believe it or not, that would be HUGE for me. I'd melt right there on the spot and grant him his every wish!

Well, not maybe EVERY wish....ahahaha!!

February 16, 2011 at 12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when my Hubs rubs my feet. THAT is the best EVER!

February 16, 2011 at 1:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Any compliment that doesn't allude to sex.

I could go for some chocolate-covered strawberries myself.

February 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger mypixieblog said...

Awww, I love this list. Sometimes men needed to be reminded. :) And yes: it's always in the details!

February 17, 2011 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Jules Thoughts said...

Loved this post! :)

February 17, 2011 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger No Longer 25 said...

Great list! I hope many of these came true for you on Valentines Day!

Have a lovely weekend,
Jade

February 18, 2011 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger Sonora said...

This list just about says it all for me. Every item on it would make me happy. I LOVE chocolate covered strawberries. Another one that would make the list for me would be doing the dishes or the laundry every once in awhile, without being asked, without complaining, and simply because he loves me.

February 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

I must forward this post to my husband!

I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

February 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM  
Anonymous Stacey said...

Love it! Every husband should tape this list to his forehead!

February 18, 2011 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger The Mommyologist said...

Great list!! Hubbys can also show their wives they love them by making the bed, not wiping toothpaste on their towels, and keeping the farts to a minimum.

February 20, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home