< Things I Can't Say: NOT Mom of the Year

This Page

has been moved to new address

NOT Mom of the Year

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Monday, July 12, 2010

NOT Mom of the Year

When I hear the title "mom of the year," two things come to mind.


The first being that someone is being sarcastic and talking about some sort of epic mom fail that they experienced.


The second being this ideal that I could never, ever live up to. Probably one that none of us can ever live up to. Your idea of Mom of the Year might look a little different from mine, but I'm going to tell you what mine looks like....and why I'm so NOT Mom of the Year.


And maybe even why I think that's okay.


Mom of the Year wakes each morning before her children to get everything ready for the day. She showers, dresses, starts the laundry, has breakfast, works out and is alert and happy when her children wake up.


I am always woken up by a child or three busting into my bedroom, asking for breakfast and a tv show. I bury my head under the covers and murmer to Hubs that I have no clue who these morning people are because surely, I couldn't have given birth to them. Oh, and I do get dressed, but you can bet that I don't look as put-together as Mom of the Year.


Mom of the Year fixes her children a hot breakfast, everything from scratch, organic, freshly-squeezed. All children are dressed in clean clothes that actually match. They sit at the kitchen table together.


My kids love milk(not organic), bananas(again, not organic), and some form of frozen waffles or pancakes(sometimes actually FROZEN and not even heated up in the microwave or toaster because they love them that way and I'm too tired to argue). They are still in their pjs and will be for a while if we aren't headed out the door. Sometimes they might just be in underwear because my kids like to be nudists. And they eat breakfast wherever, as long as it's not on the couches.


Mom of the Year has developmentally appropriate activities planned for the morning. Ones that will enrich, teach, and be fun. She loads her kids up into her spotless vehicle and whisks her children off to swim class, gymnastics, karate, kiddie yoga, Latin, computer- whatever the class of the day is.


Me? Um, what are we doing today? Those classes are expensive and trying to coordinate three children's schedules when none of them is old enough to be somewhere alone is hard. How about...the park? Or the pool? Or playing outside in the yard? Um...let's see? Wanna go to a movie? Get a new book from the library? Um...we haven't been to the aquarium recently, wanna go there? Our plans are more last minute. And that minivan I load them up into? Yeah, it's always a mess. Even right after I clean it out.


At no point during the day does Mom of the Year lose her cool with her children. If they need reprimanded, she does so in a quiet voice, staying calm at all times.


I try that, thanks for the tip SuperNanny. But, sometimes, I lose my cool and I yell. Or say something sarcastic or even....horror....administer a spanking. And I resort to bribery sometimes, too.


Mom of the Year prepares yet another fabulous meal for lunch, followed by naps, rest time, or an art project for her children. She cleans up the house and works on any projects that need to be done.


Well, my kids are peanut butter and jelly addicts. Or you know, dinosaur-shaped chicken. With fruit. They love fruit. Can I get points for that? Followed by a nap for one of my kids and then televisison shows- it's preschool on tv, right? Plus unstructured play time. So, I can clean up the house, too, just like Mom of the Year blog.


Mom of the Year has fun playdates scheduled for her children for after the quiet time and probably some volunteer work to do. She's President of the PTA, runs the local moms' group, and a host of other activities.


Playdates just give me more motherbitch stories. I'll join the PTA, but only because the former teacher in me feels obligated. I got burnt out on running a moms' group so I'm hiding from them now. And besides, I'm still busy blogging you know. Though, I do make sure that they go places where they can socialize and make friends- it just doesn't have the structure of the playgroups.


Mom of the Year has yet a third fabulous meal on the table for her family.


Okay, sometimes I do this, too. Because I can actually cook. Unless it's another one of those 105 degree days and Hubs won't be home for dinner. And then I think ice cream is a perfectly acceptable dinner. I don't let them have chocolate ice cream, though. More points for me.


Mom of the Year has a fun, quiet activity for her children before bedtime. She gives them baths, lays out fresh pajamas for them, reads each a developmentally appropriate bedtime story. She tucks each in with a kiss good-night.


Kids' choice of activity after dinner here, as long as it's nothing too crazy. Baths happen some days- and some days it's more of a rinsing off...or even an "oh well, you're not too dirty, let's skip it." My kids prefer to sleep in underwear(diaper for the baby) instead of actual pajamas. We all pile into one of the kids' beds and read the story of the whichever child managed to ask me for a story first. Send them off with a kiss good-night.


Mom of the Year finishes whatever small chores she didn't get to during the day and prepares for the next day. She spends quality time with her husband and gets to bed at a reasonable hour, ready to do it all again the next day.


Um, yeah, my house is still a mess, so I better do something about that. Or maybe not because they'll just mess it up again as soon as they wake up the next morning anyway. And I'm tired. I want to sit on the couch with Hubs, watch tv, read a book, blog, talk, have a glass of wine, and stay up way too late. I go to bed knowing the morning will come before I've had a chance to get fully rested. I bet Mom of the Year doesn't drool in her sleep like I do, either.


So, obviously, I'm NOT Mom of the Year.


But, do you know what? My boys are loved. They are fed, they are entertained, they learn new things, they make friends, and they are happy.


They tell me more times than I can count each day "I love you, Mommy."


And so, I'm okay with being NOT Mom of the Year.


Check out The Mommyologist and Life Without Pink for more moms who are NOT Mom of the Year.


NOT Mom of the Year Award

Labels: , ,

119 Comments:

Blogger The Mommyologist said...

I loved this post! I loved how you showed both Mom and "Not" Mom of the Year. And your description of Mom of the Year? Total motherbitch. I wouldn't be able to put up with her for one second!!

Our linky is up so make sure to enter your post!!!

July 12, 2010 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger danita said...

:) sounds like us!

July 12, 2010 at 7:37 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

You know the Mother of the Year doesn't exist right? She's just a better liar.

July 12, 2010 at 7:39 AM  
Blogger Megan M. said...

Shell, sweetheart, you come sit right over here by me. I'm quite possibly the other bookend to your not mom of the year!
Great post!

July 12, 2010 at 7:47 AM  
Blogger Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Woo hoo!! Wait'll you hear my mom of the year horror story. You know we live the same life right??? I'm right there with you, and don't tell anyone, but my kids had ice cream for dinner last night, I was too tired.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

July 12, 2010 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Babes Mami said...

eff mom of the year! Lol, I do a parents group but it's a slacker parents group. For people who want to get kids together but they aren't mom of the year either. I was going to do this but since I'm at less then a year of mommyhood I decided against it.

Loved the post!

July 12, 2010 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Mom of the Year? Isn't that a little statue made out of some non-recycleable material and only shows up in the stores around April just in time for Mother's Day?

In my sheltered world, Mom of the Year has always been mine. I'm guessing your kids feel the same way.

July 12, 2010 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome post, Shell! You hit the nail on the head and I'm so proud of you. This makes me feel like I'm really more in the "normal" category than I thought. Seriously, love your honesty (as always) and this post just goes to show why everyone adores you so much!

July 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I could *almost* have written this post..well, except my kids are older, and I only have two, and ones a girl.. and oh, I don't have a husband, but really, other than that...;)

This morning, I jolted out of bed 10 minutes before the neighbor arrived to drop off his kids for the day...stayed up too late watching Dirty Dancing, like I hadn't already seen it 3 gagillion times!

I think we all do the best we can and at the end of the day, if the kids are fed, mostly clean and clothed and know that they are loved, then we all get to be "mom of the year"!

July 12, 2010 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Life Without Pink said...

LOVE it!!! What a great job! And my boys LOVE eating waffles frozen. I use to fight them on this and now just give them what they want. Thanks for linking up!

July 12, 2010 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

Grr.. blogger ate my comment! Let me try this again!

If your description of Mom of the Year exists, I guarantee I wouldn't like her! Please don't tell my kids that the waffles they are eating right now can be had frozen. How they want them now is a battle in itself!

July 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger BNM said...

i love this shell.. i can so relate & im glad im not alone :) thanks for sharing

July 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger tessica said...

seriously when reading this and getting to the very first mother of the year who is up before her child i literally laughed out loud and had to make myself read the rest before coming down to guffaw about how my child is my alarm clock!

and yeah this post is amazing! so right on!

July 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

I am so far away from being mom of the year. The thought of it just makes me laugh.

July 12, 2010 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Katina said...

Love that someone else's kids eat frozen waffles! Great Post

July 12, 2010 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Secret Mom Thoughts said...

Mother of the year is overrated. I am definitely more like you. I'm a good mom but far from perfect. The kids are happy though and that is what really matters.

July 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger MommyLovesStilettos said...

Love love love it!!!

July 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Lift Like A Mom said...

I am sooo right there with you!

July 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Kim of Mo Betta said...

LOVE this post and love everyone's comments. Maybe I'm not such a bad mom after all! WE are NORMAL and those "MOY" people...do they actually exist? Yes, I know one and I hate her, not really, she's my cousin - but still. I don't get it. Thanks for boosting my mommy self-esteem this morning!!! My kids haven't even had breakfast yet...oops

July 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Mom of the year also has an extra 30 minutes a day because she doesn't pee, poop or sweat.

July 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM  
Blogger Ali@LastSplash said...

Um, if I were a SAHM, I would strive to be just. like. you!

So, close enough for me!

July 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Debby@Just Breathe said...

This was a great read, thanks!
I was never mother of the year.
Now I want to be Queen.

July 12, 2010 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Maegan said...

your day sounds a lot like mine... makes me feel beterr knowing as much as i would like to be "mom of the year" what i am doing is just fine. and much more the norm than i imagined. thanks for the great post!

July 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I love it! You just put the words into my mouth. Although Baby isn't quite old enough for some of the things you mentioned, it's exactly as I envision life will go in my house. I think we just have to focus on what we are good at and what we can accomplish. If we try to do everything, we'll go crazy! And honestly, I think 'mom of the year' really is just having kids that know and feel loved. Forget the other details!

July 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Shell, we sound so much alike! Can you imagine if we lived near each other? Our naked kids could play in the mud together and popsicles for snacks (and maybe a meal or two).

July 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fabulous! I love the way you made the comparison. And I agree with everyone else - if the mother of the year really did exist, I wouldn't like her at all. I like being not mother of the year. It's fun to eat ice cream & cookies for dinner or spend the whole day in your pj's watching cartoons just for the fun of it

July 12, 2010 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger The Princess of Sarcasm said...

I think as long as the ice cream has some kind of fruit you're all good to serve it for dinner. (Caramel is a fruit....right?)

July 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Las Vegas Mama said...

Mom of the Year does not take into account the fact that kids are a major challenge. Mom of the year only exists where Kid of the Year does... in our imagination! LOL

July 12, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

After reading this, I'm convinced we could be good friends in real life. :-)

July 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

My son likes frozen waffles too...and frozen french fries, and frozen FISH STICKS...ewww. But, I always give in, wth. haha Love the "motherbitch" word too. That is too funny. Def. not mother of the year here either. And I love that there's plenty of other NOT-MOTY's either. :)

July 12, 2010 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Haley said...

Oh, and my kids love being nudists too. I can't count the number of times my neighbors have seen my son run outside naked. He would stay in his underwear all day if I let him (and some days I let him, haha) I have even let my kids go to daycare in their PJ's and have a "pajama day" because I didn't feel like arguing at 7:30am. Three cheers for the non mother of the year!!

July 12, 2010 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Truth be told, that is really the life of most moms I know! Me included!

July 12, 2010 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Ah, I think that Mom of the Year award is completely over-rated anyway and I'm right there with ya, girl! I'm not getting any of those awards over here either. Great post! ;)

July 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Gosh, I would love to link up to LWP's thing, but you just summarized our house and my parenting so perfectly that I don't think I could write it any better. what you describe is exactly why I call myself a KludgyMom...it ain't perfect, it ain't pretty, but it works!

July 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I too am SO not mom of the year!

July 12, 2010 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Tractor Mom said...

Did you who read my mind this week??? You know the Moms of the Year don't have as much fun as we do!!

July 12, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger CA Heaven said...

I spend a huge amount of time (and money) skiing with my kids and their friends. When we're not skiing, we bike around town and study the local history or go to the science museum. Except from that, I teach them to listen to heavy metal and swear from young age, I teach them not to believe in God and that religion is bullshit. Do you think I qualify for "dad of the year"? >:)

Cold As Heaven

July 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger heavenisabookstore said...

Great post! The cool thing about Mom of the year, I think the kids get to nominate and it sounds like you are doing a fabulous job!! Fun reading.

July 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Dalia (Generation X Mom) said...

I am SO not mom of the year either. So okay with it though. I think most mom's of the year are Stepford Wives incognito!

July 12, 2010 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Jules AF said...

Blech, mom of the year bores me.

July 12, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger The Double Dipped Life said...

I LOVE this post! I think we could be very good friends. And our kids could run around the house near naked together... Love the very thought!

July 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger HarmSkills said...

love it! that mom of the year sounds boring and needs a romp in thesack

July 12, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

I think mom of the year has about 2 weeks left before she goes crazy. It would be hard being so perfect all the time.

Not mom of the year sounds pretty awesome to me.

July 12, 2010 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

i am with the mommyoligist...your mom of the year does sound like a mother bitch we would not want to hang out with.

ice cream for dinner...sounds like our kind meal!

July 12, 2010 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Karen Mortensen said...

You are Mom of the Year to Me. I say as long as people do good by their children, love them, teach them good things, take care of them ect, they are wonderful. Keep up the great work.

July 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Kaye said...

You know what? The two of us are obviously identical souls separated at birth. I kept wondering how you'd been spying on me while describing your own "Not Mom of the Year" antics.

Glad to know I'm not alone!

July 12, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post Shell! Nice to know there are Not mom of the year mom's out there too!

July 12, 2010 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger An Imperfect Momma said...

[Wipes tear from eye] I'm not alone!! LOL. Thanks for the great post!

July 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Tina L. Hook said...

Mommy of the year sounds like one hellatiously exhausted lady. If she does exist, she deserves a nap.

July 12, 2010 at 1:14 PM  
Blogger Salt said...

Mom of the Year sounds like some kind of crazy robot. I already know there is no way in hell that I would ever be up for that award and I don't even have kids yet.

You are the perfect mom for your boys and that's all that matters!

July 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Hutch said...

Does that mom really exist outside of the 50s sitcom? I think fun mom's who love their children is more than enough. Occasional feedings and baths are good too :)

P.S. started watching persons unknown...soooo good!

July 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Cheryl D. said...

I'm awarding myself the award as well! Yay, for us (and the vast majority of other moms out there),

July 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger cathyjoy said...

your day? sounds like the much better option. and? it sounds totally like my house (though i do try and get the teenage boy to shower regularly - he stinks!)

July 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger Jaz said...

Loved this post!

July 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger JennRawks said...

this is fantastic. im not a mom of the year and im proud of it.

July 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger liz said...

I think a mom like that is fictional at best. And anyone woman who CLAIMS to be that perfect all the time, is a big, fat, liar.

REAL moms are the best moms! :)

July 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger Mom vs. the boys said...

Stellar post from another mommy who is not mommy of the year!
I have an award for you on my blog and this is the reason why! do with it what you will, or nothing at all. just enjoy!

July 12, 2010 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Being MOTH sounds really hard.

I gotta admit...I'm a Mom-First mother.

I do believe my children are a gift, but I believe that the doctor put them together and gave them to me, then I gave them to the world...lucky world.

Thank God for an admitted occasional spanker! No one ever talks about it, but sometimes, you just gotta whack!

July 12, 2010 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

You win. Cracked me up the entire time. You win.

July 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Mungee's Ma said...

I love how you debunked the myth of the Mother of the Year. It's good to know we're all human and not whatever is the mom equivalent of Stepford Wives!

July 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Goodnight moon said...

Loved this post!!!!! So funny!

Sometimes I think I might be Mom of the Year, like when my kids tell me I'm the best mom ever...then I sit and think about it and say to myself..."I'm the only mom they have, of course I'm the BEST MOM EVER".

As for my surgeries.....I live at Camp Lejeune, NC. I had it done in Wilmington though, which is about an hour from here. If you go back to my post, where I wrote my "doctor", click on his link to view his website.

Thanks for the love;)

July 12, 2010 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger MommaKiss said...

absolutely awesome post. I had to laugh at some of the 'real' mom of the year definitions. i mean, really. delusional!!
i'm NOT a MOTY and damn proud of it ;)

July 12, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Your mom said...

I had a guest blog on this--why she isn't ultra mom and why that's ok. I'm with you--dino shaped chicken nuggets=good. Frozen Kroger waffles and pancakes=good.

Last week I realized it had been 4 days since my kids bathed. Oh well, at least we were having so much fun no one noticed if they smelled bad!

July 12, 2010 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Joann Mannix said...

Hello friend! I'm back from vacation and so happy to be wandering around blogworld.

Here's the reputation I have at my girls school: The mom who drives her kids to school in their jammies. And I won't even begin on my electrified morning hair.

I was/am the same kind of mom as you and my girls are all turning out to be pretty righteous people, so I guess my slackerly ways weren't so bad after all.

Your posts always uplift me with the way you tell it from the heart. I love that.

July 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM  
Blogger Sonora said...

I love this post! I think you and I would get along fabulously because this described my days almost exactly. I laughed so hard at the dinosaur shaped chicken because we eat that too. It's chicken so it's healthy right? Oh and I hope you get points for fruit because sometimes that is the only healthy thing I can get into my kids.
Like you said though, the most important thing is that the kids are loved and taken care of and it sounds like you do a fantastic job of that!!!

July 12, 2010 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

When my kids were younger I hit maybe one or two of those great things a day. On a good day. Never the full list you mentioned. Do I believe people like this exist? Yes, I do. Do I believe they are normal people, with healthy relationships? No, I do not. More isn't always better; often it's worse.

Now that my kids are older, youngest is almost twelve, lots has changed. My health doesn't allow me to even try most of those things anymore.

I make sure there's food in the house. When someone stinks or has greasy hair I tell them to shower. I try to have some idea of where they are supposed to be.

And I listen. I love. I support.

That's all I can do most days. Right now, I believe it's enough. I have great kids who are learning to take care of themselves.

Your kids are learning that they are wonderful the way they are. They are loved and valued more than activities. They are learning to be together as a family unit.

And birthday cake for breakfast is the best.

July 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger Cluttered Brain said...

I think you definitely made finals!
I love the Mom of the year what she does and then what you do...
Sounds so much like my house. Except we do cold cereal for dinner, popsicles are for lunch...

So funny.
Did U read Erin's yet?
Hers is a crack up as well!!

July 12, 2010 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Vivianne's Vista said...

I'm soooo happy to see from your post and all of the comments that there are many moms like me.I was starting to get a Bad Mommy complex!

July 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That mom of the year? I'd like to punch her in the face. Most of the moms I know are totally Not Moms of the Year. That's because they're real!

July 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I like your way better. It would such a drag to be perfect everyday. And then what would you blog about and who would want to be your friend??

July 12, 2010 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger adrienzgirl said...

You are sooooo cool! :D My kids would totally tell you that you ARE mom of the year, based solely on the ice cream for dinner!

July 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger TheFitHousewife said...

This is such a great post! I love the comparison! It seems we have a lot in common...kids being nudists, frozen waffles, TV, no plans, etc.....It's funny how we think every other mom is perfect!

July 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger shortmama said...

Ive never met a mom of the year...I think its a myth...like bigfoot

July 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Elena Sonnino said...

Love this! I think that Principessa would say you are a better mom than I am! :)

July 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger Emmy said...

If there is anyone person that does all ofthose things, well she is probably lying. Or needs to be shot so the rest of us don't look bad.

July 12, 2010 at 5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved how you showed Not MOTY and MOTY! Very cute! I am trying my darndest to get a post done!

July 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Free2bMommy said...

Shell! You are so in my head and maybe hiding in my closets, because your daily routine sounds all too familiar. I am all emotional thinking that I am not the only one who is not mother of the year, but totally okay with that. Love this post!

Thanks for sharing!
Dee

July 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Liz Mays said...

And you said it all right at the end! They adore you!

July 12, 2010 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Beth Zimmerman said...

Excellent entry, Shell! I'd vote for you!

July 12, 2010 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Okay are you in my house hiding? This is just so funny..

Great post.

Have an amazing night..

July 12, 2010 at 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I am right there with ya!!

July 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Awesome post! I can relate to 100% of this!!

July 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Tylaine said...

lol LOVE it! You know my blog subtitle is living on peanut butter. Ya that's pretty literal....I don't know what i'd do if one of my kids was allergic to peanuts!
Sounds like a good day to me! :)

July 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger One Photo said...

If such a Mom existed I doubt her kids would be happy, so Stepford Wife sterile would be her home.

In my view we are ALL Moms of the year, because we are real, we love our children and they love us just the way we are.

July 12, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Daisygirl said...

hmmm you sounded like MOM OF THE YEAR to me! Cause that other person isn't real and if she is I'm gonna kick her a$$!!!

Peanut butter and dinosaur nuggets are a staple in my house!

July 12, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Just came across your blog tonight & have to say I love it! I am adding you to my blogroll!!!

July 12, 2010 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh sweetie you sound like Mom of the year to me...oh wait, maybe that's because it sounds like you were writing about ME! My girls make their own breakfast in the summer and I come on down when I am good and ready:)
Hugs!

July 12, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Venassa said...

You might not be Mom of the Year, but you're a realistic Mom, and sound like a great one at that. If Mom of the Year really exists, she's probably got her own secrets anyway. A closet alcoholic or something. No Mom is that perfect.

July 12, 2010 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Holy Canolis! You have 90 comments on this one! Anyways, I loved this post. Great perspective and who really is Mother of the Year? She is full of crap, let me tell you. She's the mother bitch in Gymboree who acts like she is the prefect mommy. BS! I gave my kids swimming pool baths tonight, shhh. It was water from my hose, it was clean. They brushed their teeth before bed. It's all good.
My son wants to eat his waffles frozen but I won't let him. I guess my kid is not the only one? lol.

July 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle Pixie said...

I am not Mother of the Year either nor would I ever want to be. Too much pressure and I am sure her children aren't having as much fun or as well adjusted as yours! I think you are doing a fabulous job!! GREAT POST!

July 12, 2010 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Ice cream for dinner is the best! This was a great post, I never clean either, I hate cleaning and w/ kids, as soon as you clean it gets messy again, so I just leave it.

July 12, 2010 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post...You are my kind of MOM.....REAL

July 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love when bloggers write about the real side of motherhood. Sometimes the "mommy" blogs make me feel very "not" mommy of the year. I'm like, you do all this and you blog. Wow, I suck!

And I love the "its preschool on tv comment" That's how I justify it too! At least its not fan boy and chum chum all day. its Moose A Moose!

July 12, 2010 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Oh, I'm totally not Mom of the Year. No way. We rarely do Organic stuff and I find myself rolling my eyes when people ramble on and on about it.

July 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Stone Fox said...

i'm a little frightened of your mom of the year. she sounds.. repressed. like one day, she's going to be in the middle of making brownies and there's going to be this little snapping sound and her eyes are going to get all cold and soulless. and before you know it, she's stolen some jacked-up truck and drives it through the front wall of the department store.

July 13, 2010 at 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness girl, this is AMAZING! I LOVE it! You are so cute! :)

July 13, 2010 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dagnabbit Shell I don't stand a chance for this award between you and Erin.. 100 comments already?? Curses.. but wait I have pictures proof.. Pics or it never happened.. AND I added a video for that extra oomph.. yeah that's how this bad mommy rolls lol.

July 13, 2010 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Cheeseboy said...

Where do I vote? Forget it, at 103 comments, you don't need my vote. You are a shoe-in.

Snarky moms are the best, imo.

July 13, 2010 at 1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommy of the Year Awards might work for birth to pre-teens - however, that is so high school- like a popularity conterst - who can do the most creative activities, go to the hippest vacation spots and wear the cutest clothes - because Mom makes it happen. However, the real test for mom of the year occurs during high school - when all that unconditional love MUST kick in despite not feeling it when your teens reject everything you do for them - because they want to be independent of you. And, then like you said, - you just love them - and that's when you really become mom of the year - when you love them when they are so stinkin' unlovable! And still encourage them!

July 13, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Expats Again said...

Your boys are your best "rewards." It looks like you are already aware of that.

July 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Kat @ www.TodaysCliche.com said...

I am EVEN A WORSE NOT MOM OF THE YEAR CHICK! I am telling you!

July 13, 2010 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I have been reading you for, what... I don't know, since I moved to Blogger I guess... Anyway, I have always loved you for being REAL and for knowing the GOOD about yourself as a woman, wife and mother. I loved how you did this post, too!

July 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Yay for not being "that" mom! I think you should definitely get points since your kids eat fruit...triple points!

July 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Mellodee said...

Oh piffle! I'm pretty sure any kid would think you were MOTY as soon as they found out you sometimes have ice cream for dinner, even if its not chocolate! :)

July 13, 2010 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Love your NMOTY meals, and your reason for not getting it done, "mommy's blogging."

Your post....only a blogger would get it.

July 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Syl said...

Your post? Absolute greatness! It takes me a week to do a load of laundry, but my kids love me.

July 14, 2010 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Nancy C said...

What is up with the frozen waffles? My kids get mad if God Forbid, I cook their food.

Fine. Don't break a tooth.

Love this post.

July 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger litanyofbritt said...

My kids are all about frozen pancakes and dinosaur chicken too. :)

July 15, 2010 at 8:31 PM  
Blogger Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

I think the standards for Mom of the Year are way off. Kids that feel loved and have a parent who is present for them are blessed to have an award winning mom. All of that stepford wife stuff is just crap that we pile on ourselves.

July 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Kisma said...

I almost sprayed coffee on my laptop reading this one. I LOVE THIS. Sadly I know a few mothers that fit the mother of the year and I have to say with all honesty, they irritate me.

I can totally relate to this post as most mothers do!

July 19, 2010 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

How did I miss this great post...I loved it, every bit of it. Our lives are parallel, other than the age difference and amount of kids...

Frozen waffles...Brad loves them...glad to hear other kids love them too...lol!

July 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger bobbiec16 said...

I so desparately want to be "that mom" who gets up before the kids in the morning and accomplishes something..but, like you, I don't get out of bed until the kids burst through the door. In fact the baby is up for a solid hour before I go and get her out of her bed. (should have added that bit to my list....ignoring my talking baby for an hour)
Thanks for the visit
Bobbie (mymamaruns)

July 19, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love every part about your post. I always love reading your blog, and even though I'm a lazy, google reader on my iphone blog reader lately, I usually have to click through so I can comment on yours! My favorite part, and what I believe has come out of my mouth verbatim before is this:

"Um, yeah, my house is still a mess, so I better do something about that. Or maybe not because they'll just mess it up again as soon as they wake up the next morning anyway. And I'm tired. I want to sit on the couch with Hubs, watch tv, read a book, blog, talk, have a glass of wine, and stay up way too late. I go to bed knowing the morning will come before I've had a chance to get fully rested. I bet Mom of the Year doesn't drool in her sleep like I do, either."

Just... yes.

July 19, 2010 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger jayayceeblog said...

Yeah, baby ... frozen frozen waffles, spanking and bribery. You are my kind of Mom!!!

July 20, 2010 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Alexandra said...

Hi, came over to wish you luck with the contest. I love this post, adn I think it really represents what NOT mom of the year is to all of us "real moms" out there.

You did great, and I'm flattered to be included in a group that has posts like this in it.

July 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

LOVE this~!!

July 22, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Tree said...

Awww...Shell! We were definitely cut from the same cloth. LOL I love it...voting you "Not Mom of the Year" for sure! :)

Tree (aka Mother of Pearl)
Mother of Pearl It Is

July 23, 2010 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger Heligirl said...

Hi Shell. I've seen you around a lot and haven't had the opportunity to visit until now. I heard about the Not Mommy of the Year contest a little late, so I'm out reading the finalists. I just love yours. I feel so much the same most days. Great stuff girl! I'm so glad I came by.

July 26, 2010 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Holy crap! We were separated at birth! Too many similarities....I'm kinda freakin' out a little!!!

December 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home