< Things I Can't Say: BFF: Going It Alone For A Little While

This Page

has been moved to new address

BFF: Going It Alone For A Little While

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, June 25, 2010

BFF: Going It Alone For A Little While

Thanks for being so supportive of the first two weeks of BFF! I love seeing all the comments and how many of you went and followed them. Makes me think that I will be keeping this around for quite a while.


In case you are wondering how I am picking BFFs(since some of you asked about it), I am picking blogs I love that also follow/comment here. Has to be a blog I love- that makes sense. Why it has to be someone who also is active on my blog is because there are so many of you who are that it would be rude of me to skip over you and ask someone who would say HUH? and just think I was a crazy stalker if I asked them to be my BFF. I only have them scheduled a few ahead of time, and there are so many of you that I want to feature. Thanks to everyone who has agreed to do this so far and there are a lot of you that I want to get to!


This week's Blog Friend Feature is Whispering Writer aka Amber at Airing My Dirty Laundry, One Sock at a Time. It's so easy to relate to her posts and she often makes me laugh. I just love the "Hey, It's Okay" posts that she does on Tuesdays. Like Hey, it's okay: "To have once eaten a bunch of the brownie batter just ‘cause you could. Being an adult rocks. Salmonella be damned." and "To not be able to walk properly in high heels." Love it and I know you'll love her.


My husband is leaving me.




For Korea, that is.



He’s in the Air Force and he’s received orders to go to Korea for a year.



I’m staying in the States with our two children.



I’m often asked if I plan on going to live with my parents. My answer is always the same: no. While I love my parents, we tend to have different views on things. For instance, they believe that eating fruits and vegetables are exciting whereas I believe eating Little Debbie snacks are more enjoyable. My parents love nature and can often be seen sitting outside. Nature seems to hate me so I’m not in it a lot—I find when I’m hanging out with Nature, bees attack, spiders scurry up my legs, and squirrels stare at me with a sinister look in their eyes.



In other words, it’s just easier for me to stay at my own home.



Am I scared?



Absolutely. What am I going to do with my three-year-old daughter cries for her Daddy? She’s a Daddy’s Girl and what if I’m just not good enough at times? Suppose she wails for him for hours and I’m just left standing there, unsure of what I should do next.



What if my eight-year-old son Tommy asks me boy questions such as, “What exactly are my ball things for?” Sure I know the answer but I don’t think I could respond in a proper way that my husband could.



Suppose things break around the house? I am not good at putting things together. I try, believe me I try, but I usually make things worse. And most of the time I wind up in tears. I couldn’t even put together a simple toy for my kids. I ended up throwing the screwdriver across the room and calling it an improper name.



But thankfully, in the middle of thinking about all the what ifs, a friend will remind me that she’s just a phone call away and that she’ll help me with whatever I need.



My parents assure me that they can be on a plane and with me in a matter of hours.



And my husband Tom promises me that everything will be okay.



I choose to believe him. Because what good will panicking do?



I’m ready for this challenge.



I know I’ll have good days and bad, just as I do now.



But I believe my husband: everything will be okay.
 

Don't you just love her? And know that you'd totally be friends with her if you lived in the same neighborhood? Now, please, leave her some comment love here and then go follow her fabulous blog if you don't already.

Photobucket

Labels: ,

58 Comments:

Blogger Sugar Bear said...

That's amazing. What strength and courage you and your husband have. It will be okay. I would think the same thing...and then try to make it so.

Off to check "your place" out.

Have a great weekend!

June 25, 2010 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Southern Reflexions said...

Great feature...very well spoken!! This should relate to a lot of women without their husbands and hopefully give them a new, less selfish perspective on it!! I come by here often, but I'll have to start commenting more because I really like your blog!! :-D

June 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to LOL at the "balls" question - I've already have had to try to answer that one, from my 5 yr old.

Good luck to you and THANK YOU and your husband for his service.

God Bless!

June 25, 2010 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger tessica said...

I think your husband's advice is just right, you can do it! and it will be okay!

June 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Love the way she writes! Great choice for a BFF!

June 25, 2010 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger BNM said...

lol "what are my ball things for" haha! U are a strong woman :)

June 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I LOVE Amber, she is awesome. I have been reading her since the beginning and watched her blog blossom. She is fabulous and deserves all the comment love and affection she can get. :)

June 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger LisaDay said...

That was a good post. And I will check her out and wish her husband well.

LisaDay

June 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Secret Mom Thoughts said...

It will be ok. You are a strong woman.

June 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

i seriously cannot imagine going a year without my hubby. Hugs and prayers for her!!

June 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Oka said...

seems to me, even if you don't "agree" with your parents, they raised a fine young lady. I have no question that you will have your rough days, that may feel a lil more rough than normal, but I agree with your husband, "everything will be okay."

June 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Dazee Dreamer said...

I am so proud of the women/men that are at home with the kids when their loved ones go overseas. Kuddo's to all of you for having to be strong for the kids, while inside must be going crazy until you loved one returns.

June 25, 2010 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing your friend Shell, I am going over there right after this to show her some love and read more.
Kudos to the moms and dads who do it without their significant others while they serve for our country. I cannot imagine life without my husband but if God chose that for me then I would do as he asks me. Prayers that the year flies by for her.

June 25, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I am so glad that you featured her this week... I used to read her and then lost all of the blogs listed in my reader favorites, and somehow overlooked adding her back in!
THANK YOU!

June 25, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Ginny Marie said...

I would be so nervous to be without my husband for a whole year! But at least there are things like the Internet and Skype these days. I can't imagine having to rely on the postal system!

June 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I hope the year goes by as quickly as possible for you and your children. I LOVE your blog, esp. the "Hey It's Ok".... I'll definitely be following you from now on!!

June 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I love Amber and follow her avidly.

She's neat.

June 25, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Together We Save said...

Please tell your husband thanks for his service and thank you for your sacrafice.

June 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Cielo Azul Jewelry said...

Hopefully the year will fly by! This last year has been a blur for me, LOL! Maybe you can drop the kids off at your parents EVERY weekend?!!!! That's brilliant! LOL! They would so karate chop you=0) You will be fine my friend.

Wishing you a great weekend,
xoxo,
Carol

June 25, 2010 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Cheryl D. said...

I love your FB! I'm an avid follower of her blog as well! Good choice!

June 25, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Eternal Lizdom said...

That is tough and will take serious strength on your part. I have a feeling, from the little you've shared here, that you're ready for it.

I also hope and assume that you've got a fantastic support system in place so that you can get little breaks, lean on someone, ask for help, and so on.

June 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Brandy@YDK said...

I'm just sad for you.

June 25, 2010 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I am now following you. Great post and I know you'll be just fine. It may be difficult, but I believe you're also strong enough to deal.

June 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Oh, I love Amber's blog!

I can't even begin to imagine having to deal with this - it would be hard on me, but on the kids? Wow...can't even imagine. You are such a strong woman, and an inspiration :)

June 25, 2010 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I LOVE Amber...she is awesome!! I have read her since I started blogging. I keep telling her she needs to write a book (which she is) and have her daily life on a sitcom! She cracks me up! You have to go and check her out...

Good pick Shell! I am now Jenns stalker and already stalk Amber...can't wait to see who is next! :)

June 25, 2010 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

Such a strong woman! Thanks for pointing me in her direction!

June 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Karen Mortensen said...

She is funny. I have been going over there for a while now. I love the Tuesday thing too.
Good idea to believe your husband. That is good that you have lots of support.

June 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Amber is a kick. I read her every day. And you're right! I do wish she were my neighbor!

June 25, 2010 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Twincerely,Olga said...

what a cool Lady and Mamma!!!I know you can do it!!!

June 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger cheri said...

i have been following amber for months, and she always makes my day.

everything will be okay.

June 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I just love BFF! It's a great way to get to know some more bloggers!

And to Amber...thanks for sharing your story...I did live with my parents as an adult with kids...not fun, so I completely understand your choice! As a single mom, I worry about some similar things, especially when handling "technical" questions from The Boy Child, who's 7!

Thanks to your husband for his service and to your family for the sacrifices it requires!

June 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Thank you again for choosing me to be a BFF!! :)

June 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger One Photo said...

A year is a long time especially when you have children and can view the passage of time through their eyes and developments. I wish you luck, brave soul that you are and my hat is off to you and your husband for supporting your country and sacrificing so very much.

June 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Joann Mannix said...

Lots of luck, well wishes, good karma and prayer to the two of you as you both serve our country in different, but equally noble capacities.

There was one Christmas when my husband came down with the stomach flu. I was in charge of putting together every toy my 3 children received. I, too, threw the screwdriver against the wall and called one of our best friend's crying and pleading for help. He came over after assembling all of his kids' toys, to help me.

Good luck and try to choose toys that don't require a screwdriver.

June 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger shortmama said...

I always love her posts! My hubs is only home on weekends, I cant imagine how hard it is for those that have their husbands gone all the time!

June 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger x said...

Shell, thanks for sharing and thanks for doing this! -Pippi

June 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger chele said...

It WILL be okay. It sounds as though you can handle that comes your way. It may be difficult and overwhelming at times but take advantage of the support system that you have and just keep breathing!

June 25, 2010 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Lourie said...

Wow! I could not go a whole year. I the most I ever did was 10 weeks. I was very lucky during my husband's 20 years of service. Now I am super lucky in our civilian life.

June 25, 2010 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Daisygirl said...

Amber I have such a huge respect for you. I have never been on my own. I graduated high school moved in with my boyfriend who then became my husband and I often wonder how I could ever do anything alone.

I laughed so hard about your parents and their love of fruit and veggies ...yes Little Debbies are way more enjoyable!
I'm coming over to your blog to stalk ya!

Oh and the ball question...if he asks just tell him to google it!

June 25, 2010 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Helena said...

I totally agree with Daisygirl. If your son googles it, it will keep him busy for hours, AND he will probably never ask you another question. Ever.

I am definitely going to head on over and check out your blog. My husband is in the Navy, and this might be me in a few years...

June 25, 2010 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Theodora Ofosuhima said...

This feature is so creative. Happy Friday.

June 25, 2010 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I do love her. I can't imagine how tought htat would be. going to check out her site! :)

June 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, a year is a long time. Good to have faith and belief in someone. That's what love is about!

Tess
Check out my virtual book tour-giving away lots of books

June 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Patrice said...

I love love love BFF Friday's! I was so excited to see who was featured today to meet another fabulous blogger! Off to go over to her blog to read more about her! :)

June 25, 2010 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

What exactly ARE those ball thingies for? Good luck and nice to meet you. I'll be headed over soon.

June 25, 2010 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Babes Mami said...

I think that the women who are left behind by the husband are just as strong if not stronger. I couldn't imagine going through it alone, even just for a year!

June 25, 2010 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. You are a strong woman. Thank you for allowing your husband to serve our country. And if you find out what those ball things are for, let me know. :)

June 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

I am so glad I already follow you both! <3 So much strength!

June 25, 2010 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger MommaKiss said...

what a great new blogger to read!

June 26, 2010 at 5:20 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Yeah, so I found Amber through SITS, and then followed her here. I think I can now stalk two new people :)

June 26, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Mommy Grits said...

Amber is a great mom and hilarious to boot! Have followed her for a while. I am glad she got to be featured here!

June 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger jayayceeblog said...

Her sense of humor will get her through anything and everything! You go, girl!!!

June 26, 2010 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger MommyLisa said...

Big Hug Amber - and now I will be visiting your blog!

June 27, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your BFF feature. Lovin me some blogs to read & she is fabulous!

Her post just pulls at my heart. I've been there when hubby deployed last year.

June 27, 2010 at 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love her, she is one of my favorites! Now that summer is here I am sass that I cant devote as much time to blogging and I miss her posts because every single post she writes is gold.

How in the world can she go it alone for a year!!! 12 hours atnwork and I miss my husband.

June 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Aunt Crazy said...

I would so totally choose to stay at my own home with my kids too! I know it would be hard, but I would try it before living with someone else, even my own parent.

I'm off to go visit your blog now!!!

June 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Aunt Crazy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed Amber's writing! Thanks for BFFing her!

July 2, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home