< Things I Can't Say: Blog Friend Feature: Mom Tried It

This Page

has been moved to new address

Blog Friend Feature: Mom Tried It

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, June 3, 2011

Blog Friend Feature: Mom Tried It

This week's Blog Friend Feature is a real friend. We've known each other in the blog world for quite a while.  She's an amazing mom- to her kids and to the kids she fosters.  She shares funny stories about the things that her kids say and she has awesome camera skills.  Fun craft projects, too... though she is now moving those to their own blog.

I had the pleasure of meeting Kim from Mom Tried It in person at Blissdom and had to stop myself from shrieking with excitement because she was holding a cute little baby and I had no desire to traumatize a baby with my shrieking. See, aren't we cute?

I know you'll love her, too! Meet Kim from Mom Tried It:
Wow.  I am nervous.  If you could see me, you would see the red splotches appearing on my neck.  I was honored when Shell asked me to be this week’s BFF.  Now the pressure is on, though.  How to make a good impression in one post?  I have written hundreds of blog posts and have yet to make a good impression.

I started my blog writing crafts and activities to do with your kids, but have since changed tracks.  GASP!  Every blog conference/expert tells you to go from broad to niche, not niche to everything.  I am doing it all wrong, apparently.  But who cares?  Right!?

I love blogging, but it does have drawbacks.  Assumptions.  It is a dirty word.  Everyone assumes things.  But the blogging world is a big world and that is a lot of assumptions.

When I wrote exclusively about crafts and activities to make learning fun, I got labeled one of those moms.  You know the ones that fill every moment of the day with ways to nitire and grow their child into their fullest potential.  Um…yeah…not so much.  My kids park their butts in front of the tv, a lot.  I have been known to tell them to go do something/anything just to get them out of my face. 

Now, I write occasionally about our experiences as foster parents.  That’s right, foster parents.  We have a biological 4 year old son and 2 year old daughter and we were crazy adventurous enough add a 3 year old boy and a baby girl into the mix.  So your math is correct, I have four children in my house under the age of five. 

This is where new assumptions come in:  I must have the patience of a saint; I must be self-righteous to write about fostering; I must need extra money to do something like that.  They just keep pouring in.

Wrong, wrong, wrong (but who couldn’t use a little more money?)

I want to lose it every day, but I try my hardest not to go postal.  I write about things important in my life.  Fostering is a big part of my life.  I get approached almost daily with questions about it.  So I decided to write about it, too.  I know that fostering isn’t for everyone.  There are many days that I wonder if it is for me.  I hope I never come off as self righteous.  The third assumption there about needing the extra money is ludicrous.  While you do receive a stipend for fostering, it isn’t a lot (states vary widely on the amount).  You hear stories of people just doing it for the money, but we aren’t one of them. 

So that is my long winded version of “Hey, we are probably a lot alike.  I bet we have the same kind of struggles and laughs.  Why don’t you come over and check out my blog.”  Yeah, I know…I talk a lot.  Get this, this is an edited version.  Can you imagine the original? 

In a nutshell I write about my life, share photos I’ve taken, crafts you can do with your kids (when they aren’t in front of the television), and crazy things that I find myself saying.  Most of these things revolve around poop in some way, consider yourself warned.


Please leave Kim some comment love here and then go follow her fabulous blog if you don't already! Mom Tried It

Labels: ,

43 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I feel safe in assuming that you are pretty fabulous, Kim! I can't wait to check out the blog.

June 3, 2011 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Oka said...

My parents fostered teenage girls for 6 years of my life. The need was such, that we would have as many as 6 foster girls at one time. I am here to tell you, my parents didn't come out with a cent of money. My mom turned that money all back to the kids (as it should be). To feed them, to clothe them, to let them take part in activities.

You may not have the patience of a saint, but you are still willing to help children in need. I commend anyone who can do this.

June 3, 2011 at 7:11 AM  
Blogger Sorta Southern Single Mom said...

I'm with Heather! She sounds like a great girl! Off to check her out!

June 3, 2011 at 7:25 AM  
Blogger The Sisters' Hood said...

I could never forget meeting you at Blissdom, what with supah cute baby accessory and all ;)
LOVE seeing over here at Shell's, I got to meet her at Blissdom for the first time too, and cannot wait to see her again soon.
Happy Friday to you both, and btw, a beautiful photo of the two of you!

June 3, 2011 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger LA Botchar said...

Funny how we all assume Saints were/are patient. What if they weren't? LOL I do know all moms are patient...there's just some varying degrees. But anyone who has to wait 9 months to hold something precious...believe me, you have patience! Off to check her out!

June 3, 2011 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not having s niche can be so freeing! She does it so well.

June 3, 2011 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it - I'm heading over to your blog now to become a follower! And niche, smeesh - broad is more fun. It gives you OPTIONS. :)

June 3, 2011 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good foster parents are saints!! Even if you don't feel as if you are. My kids are in front of the TV a lot too, we've had a really crappy, rainy spring..what can I say?
Off to visit her blog!!

June 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Sonora said...

Wow. I know how hard it is to have four little kids at once. I have four under 6, the youngest three are 3 and twin almost 2 year olds. I don't have the patience of a saint either, but when you love those little kids it is amazing what is possible. I admire you for fostering. If there were more families like you that would do it, all those sweet kids would be so much better off. I'm so glad you were on Shell's blog today. I am off to visit your blog!

June 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Sounds very interesting. I assume!
I can't wait to go check it out!

June 3, 2011 at 10:41 AM  
Blogger Tayarra said...

Parenting is hard enough. I couldn't imagine some of the challenges you face as a Foster parent. What a chance to Have a positive influence in someone's life!

June 3, 2011 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Wow, Kim, you are one brave mama with all those kids! But what you are doing is just amazing.

June 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger A Mommy in the City said...

Kim you sound like a great woman and a great mom! Can't wait to check out your blog!

June 3, 2011 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Hutch said...

I'm still gonna say you're a saint, even if you try not to lose it every day! Sorry, no getting around that.

June 3, 2011 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger babesrockinmami said...

Kim you sound fabulous, I love crafting and doing thing with the kid but I don't feel every waking moment with it! Anyone with four kids and still able to remain mostly sane is good with me lol.

Off to visit you!

June 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is fantastic that you are a foster parent. What a wonderful thing to open up your home, your heart and your family to those children.

June 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

It's sad to say but I've never heard of you till now.... but that's been remedied and I am off to check out your blog!

Congrats on being the BFF!!

June 3, 2011 at 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Sherry said...

Kim I met you at Blissdom also. I spent some time holding that baby and getting to know you. Kim you are a amazing and kind anyone who spends 10 mins with you knows that. I am so glad that Shellthings picked you as BBF.. be cause she is right as always.
thanks for the post love reading it.

June 3, 2011 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Keshyra said...

I think it's amazing what you are doing. Helping children need is one of the most selfless things anyone can do. I am sure you are a hero to those kids. Good for you for being brave enough to do it.

I also believe in the no niche blog, there are just too many different things to talk about, why pigeonhole yourself, right?

I am on my way over to check out your blog, thanks for posting this : )

June 3, 2011 at 2:30 PM  
Anonymous Galit Breen said...

GF? You just made a kick butt first impression on me! Loved this post and all of the messages within! You rocked it!

June 3, 2011 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

How great you are a foster parent. I've been thinking about doing that but not sure I can control my patience enough to actually do it.

June 3, 2011 at 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim is amazing!! I just love her, she totally cracks me up.

June 3, 2011 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Elena Wollborg said...

What a great feature today! Can't wait to stop by and check out your blog. Four kids? That would take a lot of patience.

June 3, 2011 at 2:41 PM  
Anonymous tracy@sellabitmum said...

You sound amazing. I am off to check you out. xo

June 3, 2011 at 3:06 PM  
Blogger Kir said...

I love being introduced to great bloggers!!! You sound amazing with a huge heart. :)

I was just over at your blog and made myself comfortable, your blog will come to me now, which I love. See you in cyberspace and on Twitter!!! :)

June 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

So nice to meet you here at Shell's place.

You may claim you don't have the patience of a saint, but your heart?

Must be huge.

Hugs to you and the good work you do.

For real...

June 3, 2011 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger michellespann said...

Love it! Going to check her blog out now :)

June 3, 2011 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Well now I'm heading over to her blog to meet her myself :)

And yes, you two are so pretty!

June 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM  
Blogger Emmy said...

As a former DCFS worker- I love foster parents! There were never enough good ones. Heading on over

June 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger HopefulLeigh said...

So cool that you feel led to foster, Kim! The system definitely needs good people like you, doing it for the right reasons.

June 3, 2011 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger The Woven Moments said...

We fostered (then adopted) my youngest daughter. WHAT A JOURNEY! Can't wait to read more about you and your experience. Congrats on your BFF day!

June 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I always love reading Shell's BFF posts, having pics of the two of you just added to it! Great read:)

June 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Fostering children is such an admirable thing. You sound like a wonderful person! Heading to check out your blog now!

June 4, 2011 at 12:44 AM  
Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Awesome, I'll check her out. She sounds fabulous.

June 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Kim, you sound awesome and just like my type of blogger. I'm heading over to 'meet' you now on your blog!

June 4, 2011 at 1:21 AM  
Blogger Jeneanne said...

Well you outdid me. I had 5 kids and I DID lose one of mine. Actually my husband and I drove off and left her at the rest stop. But don't worry, we remembered. After about 15 miles down the road, we realized she was gone and went back. We haven't changed either. Left a party the other day and forgot my grandchild . . . he's one of 9 grandchildren (different parents). He text me about an hour later "Grandma you forgot me." Maybe I'll be able to hang onto my great grandchildren.

June 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger mypixieblog said...

I think it's awesome she fosters... am excited to learn more about her. Thanks for featuring her here--you always find the coolest bloggers :)

June 4, 2011 at 6:47 PM  
Anonymous jacqui said...

This is my first visit here so it's nice to meet both of you! The photo of the two of you is great...and you're right...you are cute!

June 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger The Mommy Therapy said...

That is so interesting that a lot of people make assumptions about fostering for money, or that someone that fosters is self-righteous. Those two never have entered my mind about the people I know fostering.

I always wonder how they made the decision to start, how their other children handle having other kids in and out, what challenges they have experiences...and envy because I always feel like I would like to be someone that does this, but I just can't see taking it on right now.

Great get-to-know post. Love all your guest bloggers, keeps things interesting! :)

June 5, 2011 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a friend who fosters children and has some biological children of her own. I didn't realize those were some of the assumptions people make. Thanks for putting this out in the open and teaching people like me a thing or two!

June 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

You sound like a more fabulous than me, but still very likeable type of friend.

What a wonderful thing to be a foster family. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are both foster parents.

I'm anxious to check out your blog. :)

June 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Mom of 12 said...

So nice to meet another one of Shell's BFFs! I'm hoping to be one of those BFFs someday too...
Sandy

June 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger Ducky said...

My favorite line of the whole feature? "Get this, I talk a lot and this is the edited version" haaaaa! I love it!

And fostering is so awesome. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round and children grow in our hearts just as much as in our tummies...whoa to he who judges!

June 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home