< Things I Can't Say: Letters of Intent: They're not going to be quiet

This Page

has been moved to new address

Letters of Intent: They're not going to be quiet

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
body { background:#fff; margin:0; padding:40px 20px; font:x-small Georgia,Serif; text-align:center; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } a:link { color:#58a; text-decoration:none; } a:visited { color:#969; text-decoration:none; } a:hover { color:#c60; text-decoration:underline; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { width:660px; margin:0 auto 10px; border:1px solid #ccc; } } @media handheld { #header { width:90%; } } #blog-title { margin:5px 5px 0; padding:20px 20px .25em; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:1px 1px 0; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; font-weight:normal; color:#666; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; } #blog-title a { color:#666; text-decoration:none; } #blog-title a:hover { color:#c60; } #description { margin:0 5px 5px; padding:0 20px 20px; border:1px solid #eee; border-width:0 1px 1px; max-width:700px; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Content ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #content { width:660px; margin:0 auto; padding:0; text-align:left; } #main { width:410px; float:left; } #sidebar { width:220px; float:right; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Headings ----------------------------------------------- */ h2 { margin:1.5em 0 .75em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .date-header { margin:1.5em 0 .5em; } .post { margin:.5em 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } } @media handheld { .date-header { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } .post { padding:0 1.5em 0 1.5em; } } .post-title { margin:.25em 0 0; padding:0 0 4px; font-size:140%; font-weight:normal; line-height:1.4em; color:#c60; } .post-title a, .post-title a:visited, .post-title strong { display:block; text-decoration:none; color:#c60; font-weight:normal; } .post-title strong, .post-title a:hover { color:#333; } .post div { margin:0 0 .75em; line-height:1.6em; } p.post-footer { margin:-.25em 0 0; color:#ccc; } .post-footer em, .comment-link { font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .post-footer em { font-style:normal; color:#999; margin-right:.6em; } .comment-link { margin-left:.6em; } .post img { padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; } .post blockquote { margin:1em 20px; } .post blockquote p { margin:.75em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments h4 { margin:1em 0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#999; } #comments h4 strong { font-size:130%; } #comments-block { margin:1em 0 1.5em; line-height:1.6em; } #comments-block dt { margin:.5em 0; } #comments-block dd { margin:.25em 0 0; } #comments-block dd.comment-timestamp { margin:-.25em 0 2em; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } #comments-block dd p { margin:0 0 .75em; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Sidebar Content ----------------------------------------------- */ #sidebar ul { margin:0 0 1.5em; padding:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; list-style:none; } #sidebar li { margin:0; padding:0 0 .25em 15px; text-indent:-15px; line-height:1.5em; } #sidebar p { color:#666; line-height:1.5em; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ #profile-container { margin:0 0 1.5em; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; padding-bottom:1.5em; } .profile-datablock { margin:.5em 0 .5em; } .profile-img { display:inline; } .profile-img img { float:left; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ddd; margin:0 8px 3px 0; } .profile-data { margin:0; font:bold 78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } .profile-data strong { display:none; } .profile-textblock { margin:0 0 .5em; } .profile-link { margin:0; font:78%/1.4em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Arial,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { width:660px; clear:both; margin:0 auto; } #footer hr { display:none; } #footer p { margin:0; padding-top:15px; font:78%/1.6em "Trebuchet MS",Trebuchet,Verdana,Sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.1em; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { }

Friday, January 22, 2010

Letters of Intent: They're not going to be quiet

Letters of Intent

Got something you need to get off your chest? Click the button and play along!




Dear Neighbors,



So, this is your second year spending January and February at this beach and in the house that you have rented for 6 weeks.




I understand that you love this beach for how quiet it is.



However, this year, my family is here. And we have 3 young boys. We're not going anywhere any time soon.



It was NOT okay that you yelled over to them "We're trying to relax, you need to be quiet."



They weren't doing anything wrong.



They were playing.


In their own backyard.



Granted, they weren't whispering as they played, but they weren't screaming like banshees, either.





Any day that it is nice enough, my boys will be outside playing. And I'm not going to tell them to "play quietly."





It's the middle of the day, they're outside, and they're kids.





If you don't like it, I'm quite certain that there are other houses on this island that you could rent out for the duration of your stay, before you head back to whatever godforsaken cold place you come from.





-Mom of the boys next door


P.S. Yell at them again and I really will nail this letter to your front door.

Labels:

62 Comments:

Blogger Sassy Salsa girl said...

I hate it when people are like that about my kids as well the motherly instincts kick in pretty strong. I've always had the worst experiences at the movie theater. I love the note!

January 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Wisconsin Parent said...

Ha ha. Dear Neighbors, Please more to Tibet! In winter! SITS HELLO.

January 22, 2010 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH see noooooo not today not tomorrow... I would have been on them like White on rice.. yeah they would think my kids were on mute when i got done layign hands on them andnot in a prayerful way...

January 22, 2010 at 8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't believe how rude people can be! Come on people, let the kids have a little fun.

January 22, 2010 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger Eternal Lizdom said...

I would definitely have words for them!!

Want me to send you some earplugs (they make earplugs where I work) to give them? Hahahaha!

January 22, 2010 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger The Mommyologist said...

Tell the neighbors to go hang out with the motherbitches!!!

January 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Evonne said...

I'd stick the letter on their door anyway. Kids are loud, especially when outside.

January 22, 2010 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger The Princess of Sarcasm said...

Wow....how rude. Why don't you tell them to spice it up a little bit because ya'll are trying to have fun and fuddy duddy neighbors like them ARE NOT HELPING! Or.....give them a pamphlet for the nice quiet nursing home down the road. (Or cemetery....which ever they prefer.)

January 22, 2010 at 8:45 AM  
Blogger Kmama said...

Ooh, that would make me mad...especially if they were just playing and not screaming like crazy kids.

I know it's not nice...but for some reason, I hope you actually have to share that letter with them!

January 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Ha! Hilarious! Hope the neighbors are better behaving, now!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Joanne @ Ready, Set, Craft!

January 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Ducky said...

See...I would just tell my kids to yell even louder.

They are outside. Outside voice are totally acceptable.

They are in their own backyard and if mom isn't bothered by the noise - carry on young gents

THEY.ARE.CHILDREN....and boys too boot...not that girls can't be just as loud. My kiddo and her cousin are a force to be reckoned with. Even the grandparents turn their hearing aids off ;O)

If the renters want a relaxing kid free zone they can go to Sandals resort.

January 22, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I agree. It they are outside and the is when you let your children yell scream and get it all out before they come in. I mean it is the middle of the day why are those people taking naps.

January 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Kearsie said...

You tell her, sister.

January 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger {Kimber} said...

RUDE!!! what is wrong with people!geez

January 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Ashley T said...

Do it! Take a huge mallot to the door too. That would really destroy their "resting".

Stopping by from the Foursons

January 22, 2010 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Yankee Girl said...

People like that drive me crazy. Don't they remember what it was like to have young kids? Or to be kids themselves?

Really people, lighten up.

And you should nail that note to their front door. That would be rad. And totally badass of you!

January 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Mae Rae said...

crapballs! Seriously? People need to realize that kids are kids. There is a difference between banshee running around painting thier brothers blue kids and simple playing kids. The most relaxing sound in the world is the sound of children playing and to boot they have the lapping of the shore. Crapballs!

January 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Working Mommy said...

I would have gone over there and given them a piece of my mind!!! Either that or I would have yelled right back ~ actually...I think I would have done both together...yelled a piece of my mind!! Hahahahaha!!!

~WM

January 22, 2010 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I think I would be louder then my kids just to piss them off after asking my kids to be quiet in their own yard....really?

January 22, 2010 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger Mandee said...

You go girl! Do people still say that? lol Anyways, I think I would have probably said something the first time. The nerve of some people!

January 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Stacyonthecouch said...

Popping by from Julie's blog .... I am a HUGE fan of quiet, however, I am not a fan of people who think its ok to tell someone else's kids to be quiet!! Sumbich "ssshhhh"'d my daughter in a restaurant once and she almost got herself smacked. By my sister. lol. And when I say restaurant, I mean Ricky's All Day Grill ... a family breakfast place. It was well past the Sunday brunch rush and there was all of 5 tables of people in the whole place. My sweet little daughter was about 5 years old and bored. She sat under the table with her Barbie and sang songs. Not even loud enough for ME to notice, and like I mentioned before, I'm a fan of quiet.

I hope your kids play louder tomorrow ;)

January 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Shandal said...

Wait a minute... are you saying that you LIVE on a beach?

They were totally out of line to say anything.

January 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Aunt Crazy said...

I'm here from Julie's place...just to say OH HELL NO they didn't!!! Aunt Crazy is ready to head to that beach house and yell some sense into those people and show them what LOUD is...how rude!!!

January 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Adoption of Jane said...

Nail it to her forehead!

January 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say arm your kiddos with drums, guitars, super loud keyboards that make all sorts of racket, and tell them to go to town!

Sorry you have such rude neighbors. Hopefully they leave soon.

January 22, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Desert Rose said...

Ooooh man, I woulda turned into one of those motherbitches that you talk about! They woulda been sorry that they opened their mouths like that to my kids!

January 22, 2010 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Brandi said...

*GASP* They. Did. Not! Holy cow... turn those boys loose in the backyard and encourage them to scream like banshees!

January 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Secret Mom Thoughts said...

I don't blame you.

January 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

How rude of them!

January 22, 2010 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Brutally Honest said...

I hope you do yell back at them!! You know, if you don't want to be around kids there are kid-free places...like retirement communities. Perhaps they should try some of those. How rude of them!

January 22, 2010 at 12:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle @Flying Giggles said...

Amen! Let your boys play and have some fun. That is so rude of them and they have no business telling your kids what to do. Maybe you guys can think of a fun, loud game to play today! Good luck, maybe next year they will relocate.

January 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Lothiriel said...

I hate it when people want to tell children to be quiet. THEY'RE CHILDREN!!!!

One time, my friend who has cancer, went in for radiation, and I was in the lobby waiting for her along with her 7 year old son. He was all going on and on about Spiderman. He's so cute! This guy kept giving nasty mean looks because he was a bit louder than usual, but he's a kid! It's not like he was running around, throwing things...he was just talking.
Finally, I got tired and said: "he's a child!!" to the person giving us the dirty looks. He looked a bit stunned, and walked away.

January 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger carissajade said...

Geeez! I can't believe your neighbors are so rude to children! You should yell back that they relaxing is ruining your children's playing environment.

January 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I have been at concerts before, where people were screaming and carrying on, excited about their favorite band jammin' it up on stage, when someone tells one of their screamers to be quiet. Not cool.

Some people have the nerve. Rude neighbor. I would nail it to their door.

January 22, 2010 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Taylor Stoddard said...

Wow, how rude! That is YOUR HOME... they just rent! Stupid people. I would have gone over there and let them know what's up. Ok... maybe I wouldn't have. I would have sent the hubs. lol

January 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously?? How rude!

On a more positive note, thanks for linking up at Friday Follow. I am already following and stopping over to say hello. Happy Friday Follow!

~ Lynn

January 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Really? Hello? How rude are they. YOU LIVE THERE. GET OVER IT PEOPLE
Put your old teacher voice on and go after 'em.

January 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Twincerely,Olga said...

Well written!!I dare you to nail it to their door!!Haha! I would have really had to zip my mouth HARD!! Why do people forget what is was like to be a child?? Or should I say How??
Have a great weekend!!!:)

January 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa Noel said...

we so dont' have the issue at all. but it would annoy me if we did. i send my kids out to be noisy. OUTSIDE. where they aren't expected to use their "inside" voices!

(thanks for stopping by. i'm following now)

January 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Masala Chica said...

tell the old motherbitches to chill out and remember what it was like when they still had any joy in them and were children and it hadn't all been sucked out to leave them the trolls they are today.

That my friend, is how you resolve conflict.

Kiran

January 22, 2010 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh...I would be so mad! You tell them Shell!

January 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Sarah and the Gentlemen said...

When I was a kid, we would spend New Year's Eve at my Grandma and Grandpa's house. We would watch that ball drop then my Grandma hooked us up with garbage can lids and pans to bang as loud as we could while yelling HAPPY NEW YEAR outside. It was awesome. No one ever told us to be quiet either.
I think people are less neighborly these days; I imagine if it were present day someone would call the cops on us. Spoilsports.

January 22, 2010 at 3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man, I hate people like that! Mess with my kids, and your going to have to deal with me...lol

January 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Tracie said...

Oh no they di-unt!!! That's just rude!

January 22, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stopped by from Foursons...

...I would have been furious! Count me in as another vote for nailing this letter to their front door!

January 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I seriously cannot believe someone would do that. Rude-y Ruderson!!!! Kids will be kids, and they need to expend energy. You are being too nice about it! I'd have let them have it.

January 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

Where the heck else are kids supposed to play and be loud?? They can't be quiet their whole lives! I like the suggestion to tell them they are ruining your boys' playing environment. Ha!

January 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg. please do it!

January 22, 2010 at 6:44 PM  
Blogger Foursons said...

Oh my goodness, you hit a nerve with this one! I don't think I could have kept quiet either. Mama bear comes out big and mean when she's protecting her cubs and NOBODY better mess with her cubs!

Thanks for linking up!

January 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Kimberly@PrettyPinkMomma said...

I know how you feel. That happened to us a couple summer's ago. The neighbor's behind us yelled "shut up!" one evening when the boys were outside playing. It was pretty obvious who they were talking to. So, I made a point to go out every evening with the boys and let them play as loud as they wanted.

I was reading your comments, and I see that Tammy from Tammy's Two Cents said that she would be so mad too, which is funny cause she is my next door neighbor. I don't know if I have ever told her about the people behind us yelling shut up - I think I will now!

January 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

I'm a new Friday Follow. Love the honesty in the letter to the neighbors. Great idea. Maybe I'll vent to mine cyberly. LOL

January 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Friday following you!!

Have a great weekend!!

January 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

That is a great post. Thanks for the follow, following right back. :-)

January 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

I think you should put the letter on their door - even before them yelling. Ha! So there.

January 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Chief said...

Someone needs Chief to open a can o whoopass!

I am on my way

January 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - now THAT would piss me off too. And I'd probably bring my unconfrontational ass over to them and give them a piece of my mind!

January 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM  
Blogger mintifresh said...

Oh please nail it to their door! With a pile of burning poo on their doorstep!

Okay, that last piece was infantile-they would totally know it was you. So, do it a couple nights later.

January 23, 2010 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger HeatherOz said...

Oh my gosh! Those neighbors DEFINITELY need to see that letter. What a bunch of losers! They are probably the type that let the tv babysit their kids!

January 23, 2010 at 2:20 AM  
Blogger Corrie Howe said...

I hope this can resolved in a pleasant way. It's awful to not be comfortable with your neighbors.

January 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger Shannon K. said...

Amen to this! Get over yourselves would be my sentiments. I would give all of your kids loud instruments. Like a trumpet, drums and an electric guitar (plugged into a huge amp, of course) send them outside, and tell them to start practicing for the big time.

January 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they decide to leave, please let me know. I would love some time on the beach, and I would never hear your children over my own!

January 23, 2010 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh I get irate when someone tries to tell my kids something, even if they maybe were acting out. Still, its my job. But I will tell a kid off whose hurting or being mean to my kid. I'm a mama bear. sorry.

August 9, 2010 at 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home